Washington State Ferries Long Range Plan
Find our Long Range Plan, which provides a blueprint to guide our investments and service for the next 20 years.
Updated once a decade, our Long Range Plan provides a blueprint to guide our investments and service for the next 20 years, while considering the changing needs of ferry system users and associated funding opportunities and challenges.
We submitted our 2040 Long Range Plan to the Legislature on Jan.3, 2019. The Plan recommends short-, medium- and long-term actions for us to pursue and focuses on a set of investments and service enhancements to be implemented over 20 years.
The Plan reflects extensive input from ferry customers, the public and stakeholders, including nearly 900 comments from more than 7,500 people who participated in 32 public meetings on land and on board ferries and in two online open houses.
Needs and benefits
We developed a Long Range Plan to plan for the future of the ferry system through 2040. The Plan does the following:
- Considers demographic trends and ridership forecasts
- Looks at the condition of the ferry fleet, terminals and access to them
- Evaluates our work force and operations
- Identifies opportunities to use new technology and prepares for climate change
- Reviews and updates performance measures
- The objective of the Long Range Plan is to provide information about the needs of ferry customers, establish operational and pricing strategies to meet those needs and identify vessel and terminal operations and capital requirements
- The Plan makes recommendations in four key theme areas: reliable service, customer experience, manage growth and sustainability and resilience
- The 2030 Long Range Plan (PDF 7.7MB) presented a vision for the future of the ferry system