Transportation Carbon Reduction Strategy
Explore our Transportation Carbon Reduction Strategy, a plan that focuses on ways to reduce transportation greenhouse gas emissions.
In November 2023, we submitted the Washington State Transportation Carbon Reduction Strategy (Strategy) to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). This strategy is required for the state to receive federal Carbon Reduction Program funds. FHWA will review submissions and provide final certification in February 2024.
The Washington State Transportation Carbon Reduction Strategy builds on the State Energy Strategy, which focuses on two ways to reduce transportation greenhouse gas emissions. Find out more about reducing transportation emissions in these fact sheets:
- Overview- reducing transportation carbon emissions (PDF 506KB)
- Move people and goods more efficiently and equitably (PDF 475KB)
- Electrify vehicles and switch to low carbon fuels (PDF 501KB)
Read the reports
The Transportation Carbon Reduction Strategy describes the policy framework for reducing future transportation carbon emissions and documents the multiple actions currently happening statewide to reduce transportation greenhouse gas emissions.
- Appendix A- Identified Strategic Actions and Project Types (PDF 623KB)
- Appendix B- Partner Outreach Summary (PDF 536KB)
- Appendix C- Funding Opportunities (PDF 283KB)
- Appendix D- 2023-2026 STIP Emission Reduction Investments (PDF 477KB)
- Comment response document (PDF 283KB)
- Washington State Transportation Carbon Reduction Complete Strategy Report with Appendices (Uncertified) (PDF 3.8MB)
The Transportation Carbon Reduction Technical Report evaluates how far current policies will get us towards our goals. While existing policies significantly reduce emissions, especially from light duty vehicles, the report shows that additional work is needed to improve travel efficiency and address emission from medium and heavy-duty vehicles.
Learn more about the Transportation Carbon Reduction Strategy from our engagement meeting materials:
- Freight Workshop presentation- February 13, 2023 (PDF 1,060KB)
- April 26, 2023 Partner Webinar presentation (PDF 2MB)
- April 26, 2023 Partner Webinar presentation YouTube video
- Tribal Briefing presentation- May 2, 2023 (PDF 2MB)
- MPO/RTPO/WSDOT Coordination presentation- May 9, 2023 (PDF 1.67MB)
- Tribal Transporation Planning Organization presentation- May 16, 2023 (PDF 1.8MB)
- Public Comment Period Informational Webinar- July 25, 2023 (YouTube video)
The Carbon Reduction Program requires that this strategy be updated every four years, with the first update due to FHWA in 2027. We will begin work on the update in 2026 and look at how we can fill the gap between our existing programs and our goals.
In the meantime, we are expanding our community engagement efforts and developing additional tools to support the plan update. We will continue to engage with our partners on how best to continue these efforts.
- Sign up for email updates using GovDelivery.