Surface Transportation Block Grant
The Surface Transportation Block Grant (STBG) is more commonly known as the Surface Transportation Program (STP), which continues to be the most flexible of all the highway programs and provides the most financial support to local agencies.
WSDOT allocates STBG funds to Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO’s) and County Lead Agencies for prioritizing and selecting projects that align with their regional priorities involving all entities eligible to participate in a public process. In addition, WSDOT sets annual delivery targets for each MPO and county lead agency.
Eligible projects include highway/bridge construction/repair; transit capital projects; bicycle, pedestrian and recreational trails; and construction of ferry boats and terminals.
Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST)act STBG allocations -(federal funding)
- Final FFY 2022 (PDF 161KB)
- Final FFY 2021 (PDF 150KB)
- Final FFY 2020 (PDF 100KB)
Redistributed OA Summary (PDF 154KB)
- Final FFY 2019 (PDF 88KB)
- Final FFY 2018 (PDF 87KB)
In 2017, Local Programs, MPOs and counties have developed a formula driven allocation for the STBG funds. The STBG funds are distributed as follows:
- Over 200,000 population – Distributed based on 2010 Census data as required
- Under 200,000 – 5,000 population – Distributed based on 2010 Census data for these population areas.
- Under 5,000 population – Distributed based on rural lane miles.
- Flexible –
Distributed based on 75% population/25% total county lane miles
Local Programs administration costs will be decreased from the initial allocations based on a proportional share of the total allocation for each entity.