Report a spill

The public, agency staff and contractors should use this page to report unplanned releases of materials on or near the highway and WSDOT-operated properties.

Report emergency or hazardous spills

These include spills related to vehicle collisions, fires, unknown chemicals, or explosive hazards.

  1. Call 911 for spills on state highways or Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) properties that may affect the safety of the traveling public or the environment.
  2. Also report to the Department of Ecology (Ecology).

Spills in water

If you spill or observe oil or hazardous substances in water, immediately call both

1-800-258-5990 (Washington Department of Emergency Management)

1-800-424-8802 (U.S. Coast Guard National Response Center)

Oil includes:

  • Petroleum oils, such as gasoline and diesel.
  • Synthetic oils, such as mechanical lubricants.
  • Plant-based oils, such as cooking oils.

Report non-emergency spills

Spills and illicit connections that could reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system

Non-emergency spills and illegal discharges that could reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system should be reported to the closest Department of Ecology office via their website or at one of the numbers below.

Illicit connections are any unauthorized pipe, ditch, or other manmade structure that is physically connected to WSDOT’s property or stormwater drainage system.

Central Washington: 509-575-2490

Counties: Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan and Yakima

Eastern Washington: 509-329-3400

Counties: Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman

Northwest Washington: 425-649-7000

Counties: Island, King, Kitsap, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, and Whatcom

Southwest Washington: 360-407-6300

Counties: Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Mason, Lewis, Pacific, Pierce, Skamania, Thurston, and Wahkiakum

Spills & illicit connections that do not reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system

Find the WSDOT Region Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) contact information on our Reporting spills & eliminating illicit discharges webpage. Contacts are available during normal business hours only. Leave a message if you reach us outside of business hours.

WSDOT staff and contractors

Contractors and WSDOT staff must follow the procedures on our Hazardous materials and Reporting spills & eliminating illicit discharges webpages to make sure spills are properly reported. All hazardous materials spills must be reported right away.

If a spill poses an immediate threat to human health or the environment (e.g., tank truck leaking into a water body), qualified WSDOT staff will take reasonable actions to contain the spill until the police or Ecology arrive on the scene. Reasonable actions depend upon the expertise of the WSDOT staff at the scene and the materials that are available to them.

14 fish passage projects were completed in 2020

improving access to 54.2 miles of upstream habitat.

11,959 incidents responded to

by WSDOT’s incident Response teams during second quarter of 2021, 15% more than same quarter in 2020.

41 Pre-existing Funds Projects Advertised

during the eighth quarter of the 2019-2021 biennium.