Report a spill
The public, agency staff, and contractors should use this page to report unplanned releases of materials on or near the highway and WSDOT-operated properties.
Report spills and illicit discharges that are not comprised entirely of stormwater on or along state highways or WSDOT properties, as well as connections to our stormwater drainage system, to the appropriate authorities listed below.
WSDOT staff and contractors
WSDOT staff and Contractors must follow the procedures on this page and Ecology’s Report a spill of oil or hazardous materials website to make sure spills are properly reported. All hazardous materials spills must be reported right away.
Emergency or hazardous spills
Call 911 for spills on state highways or WSDOT properties that may impact the safety of the traveling public or the environment. These could include spills related to vehicle collisions, fires, unknown chemicals, or explosive hazards. Also report to the Department of Ecology (Ecology).
Spills in water
If you spill or observe oil or hazardous substances in water, immediately call both
- 1-800-258-5990: Washington Department of Emergency Management
- 1-800-424-8802: U.S. Coast Guard National Response Center
Spills and illicit connections that could reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system
Non-emergency spills and illegal discharges that could reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system should be reported to the closest Department of Ecology office via their website or at one of the numbers below.
- Central Washington: 509-575-2490
- Counties: Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan, and Yakima
- Eastern Washington: 509-329-3400
- Counties: Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman
- Northwest Washington: 425-649-7000
- Counties: Island, King, Kitsap, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, and Whatcom
- Southwest Washington: 360-407-6300
- Counties: Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Mason, Lewis, Pacific, Pierce, Skamania, Thurston, and Wahkiakum
Illicit connections or non-emergency spills and illicit discharges that do not reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system
Call the WSDOT Region Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) contact listed below. Contacts are available during normal business hours only. Leave a message if calling outside of business hours.
WSDOT regions/IDDE contact phone numbers:
- Eastern Region: 509-323-8402
- Olympic Region: 360-570-6748
- North Central Region: 509-667-2989
- Northwest Region: 206-440-4900
- South Central Region: 509-577-1759
- Southwest Region: 360-905-2015