General Special Provisions (GSPs)
Find information regarding annual updates to the Standard Specifications, read/download WSDOT General Special Provisions (GSPs), read/download APWA General Special Provisions (GSPs) for local agencies and download/update the contract software for writing and compiling specifications.
Subscribe to email alerts to receive notices regarding updates to the Standard Specifications, GSPs & PS&E Word software program.
The 2023 Standard Specification Book is effective for all WSDOT projects advertised on or after October 3, 2022. We publish the Standard Specifications annually. Revisions that need to occur between publications will be incorporated into contracts via the General Special Provisions. Find out how to download and view the Standard Specifications on various mobile devices (PDF 450KB).
General Special Provisions (GSPs)
WSDOT indexes including instructions for use to the referenced GSPs.
- Division 1 General Requirements (PDF 386KB)
- Division 2 Earthwork (PDF 137KB)
- Division 3 Aggregate Production and Acceptance (PDF 71KB)
- Division 4 Bases (PDF 53KB)
- Division 5 Surface Treatments and Pavements (PDF 223KB)
- Division 6 Structures (PDF 739KB)
- Division 7 Drainage Structures, Storm Sewers, Sanitary Sewers, Water Mains, and Conduits (PDF 54KB)
- Division 8 Miscellaneous Construction (PDF 321KB)
- Division 9 Materials (PDF 12KB)
The following link contains all of the WSDOT GSPs combined into one PDF document.
Download GSPs in Word format
The WSDOT General Special Provisions (GSPs) are available to download to your PC via the FTP links below. These locations include the latest versions of all of the WSDOT GSPs and indexes. These files are always up-to-date and contain the latest updates. WARNING: Delete all temporary internet files to ensure you are viewing the latest updates to the following locations.
If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the links or files in the locations above: Not all web browsers are compatible with FTP. If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the areas or files in the locations above, please try opening from a different browser. If a different browser does not work, you may need to access these areas via an alternate option. You can access the FTP links from File Explorer on your PC, or alternatively, access these areas via FTP client, available for download online. Copy and paste the following link locations to access these folders via File Explorer or FTP client:
- GSP files: ftp://ftp.wsdot.wa.gov/public/design/projectdevelopment/gsps/WORD/
- Index files: ftp://ftp.wsdot.wa.gov/public/design/projectdevelopment/gsps/wordindexes/
For any other questions, please call the Mats Lab Help Desk at 360-709-5454.
Manually update PS&E Word program files for non-WSDOT users
Sometimes there is a delay in updates vs. program updates (typically due to updates that occur between annual packages) - in these instances, you can manually update your program files by copying everything located in the "WSDOT GSPs - Word Files" link into your C:/pse/gsps folder, and copying everything located in the "WSDOT Indexes - Word Files" link into your C:/pse/index folder. (Note: These are the default file locations - if you modified the program, then place the files in the correct folder locations.)
PS&E Word specification program
PS&E Word is a Microsoft Word based macros program that creates uniform project specifications using pre-loaded templates and pre-approved special provisions.
- Description & instructions (PDF 15KB)
- Download PS&E Word Program (EXE 36MB) - Last updated January 27, 2022 (Version 7.5)
- Disclaimer (PDF 10KB)
- User guide (PDF 2.67MB)
- Troubleshooting guide (PDF 103KB)
- Master run-list (DOCX 64KB)
- Quick Start - Initial Word Settings (PDF 629KB)