Highway access requests & training
Find services for property owners, developers, consulting engineers and local agencies who are planning projects that impact state highways. You'll find tools and resources to help support this process.
If you need a driveway or have a land use development, please contact Region Development Services for assistance.
Maps and data
See transportation data for milepost markers, geoportal, state route web, survey monuments, crash data, travel data, and more.
See the SnagMp page for more information by state route and milepost.
For an overall explanation of limited access and managed access rules and requirements see overview of the types of access control (PDF 16KB). For managed access control inside city limits, the access is granted by the local entity.
Design Manual chapters
Please refer to the chapters of the Design Manual M22-01 listed below.
Chapter 210 - Public Involvement and Hearings
Chapter 510 - Right of Way Considerations
Chapter 520 - Access Control
Chapter 530 - Limited Access Control
Chapter 540 - Managed Access (HWY Classifications Exhibit 540-1 on Page 540-7)
Chapter 550 - Freeway Access Revision
Chapter 1130 - Development Services
RCWs and WACs
Access Control Geographic Information System (GIS) workbench
The Access Control map application displays access control classification for all Washington state highways.
Read the item description for this application.
Electronic access request approval process
To be used by WSDOT staff
- Access Request Checklist (XLSX 4.05MB)
- Guidelines for Utility Access Approval (PDF 83KB)
- How to Submit Request Packages (PDF 582 KB)
- How to View Request Packages - Internal Users (PDF 528 KB)
- How to View Request Packages - External Users (PDF 465 KB)
- Access Database disclaimer (PDF 29KB)
- Access Control Tracking System Limited Access and Managed Access Master Plan (XLS 900KB)
- Access Master Plan Instructions (PDF 199KB)
- Statewide Median Crossover Database* (XLSX 23KB)
*Partial disclosed version. Full disclosed version available internally for WSDOT, WSP and FHWA.
Highway Access Control and Hearings administers the limited and managed access programs for all Washington state highways.
- Access Hearings Process Timeline (PDF 1022KB)
- RES and Access Process from Hearing to Project Ad (PDF 68KB)
- Findings and Order List (XLSX 203KB)
Highway access control and hearings training
This course will discuss access management in Washington State. It will discuss limited access and managed access programs, rules and requirements.
Roland Storme (Skagit, Island, & Whatcom County)
Ramin Pazooki(Snohomish & King Counties)
North Central Region
(Okanogan, Chelan, Douglas & Grant Counties)
South Central Region
(Kittitas, Yakima, Benton, Franklin, Walla Walla, Columbia, Garfield & Asotin Counties)
Access and Hearing Manager
Access and Hearing Specialist
Highway Access & Agreements Specialist