Commercial vehicle permits

Vehicles over legal dimensions and/or weight need a permit before entering the state or moving within the state. Learn how to get a permit to move oversized and overweight loads on state highway systems.

Determine if you need a permit

You need a permit if you exceed legal dimensions or weight. Permits are only issued to transport loads that cannot be divided. If the load or any part of the load can be reasonably reduced, it must be reduced, and you will not be granted a permit.
Legal dimensions are:

  • 8’6” wide, 14’ tall, 53’ length (tractor/trailer)
  • 40’ single unit
  • 75’ overall with a truck and trailer

You are also allowed 3’ of front overhang and 15’ of rear overhang.

If you have a heavy load, use the legal weight chart to determine if you need a permit for weight. A set of three overlapping criteria determines the Gross vehicle weight (GVW) for a vehicle or vehicle combination: tire size, axle weight, and the weight table. Calculate your overweight permit fees with our calculator.

There are three ways to get a permit:

Most routine permits may be self-issued online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, using the Permit program.

You cannot self-issue the following permits

  • Superloads with dimensions more than 16 feet wide, 16 feet high, 125 feet load length, or exceeding 200,000 pounds. See all superload requirements.
  • Nighttime travel requests that exceed at least one of the following dimensions: 12 feet wide, 14 feet 6 inches high, or 105 feet in overall length.
  • 8-tire axle weight permits
  • Farm implement permits
  • Manufactured housing permits that exceed allowances on the manufactured home transport routes.

For all other types of permits, you can contact permit agents or the WSDOT office. Permits are not available at the Ports of Entry.

Check your route for restrictions and overhead clearances

You are responsible for providing your route. You must verify any restrictions and overhead clearance problems for your route.

How to self-issue permits and which permits can be self-issued.

These are the permits, applications and requests available for oversize and overweight commercial vehicles operating in Washington.

Commercial vehicle permitting contact information and hours of operation. For WSDOT permit offices and private businesses who are authorized to issue State of Washington permits. Also, county and city permit contact information for local permits.

A calculator to figure out your overweight permit fee cost.

If your vehicle is overweight, you will need an axle spacing report number. Get your axle spacing report number using the calculator on this page.

Gross vehicle weight (GVW) for a vehicle or a vehicle combination is determined by an overlapping set of three criteria: tire size, axle weight, and the weight table. The lesser of any one of the criteria will govern the weight of any axle or axle group

Learn about pilot/escort vehicle and operator requirements, finding a pilot/escort vehicle and operator and partner certification programs.

A superload is a vehicle or combination with a non-divisible load exceeding sixteen feet wide, sixteen feet high, 125 feet of load length, or 200,000 pounds.

Washington State Department of Transportation, DOL and WSP share a set of objectives intended to provide for the safety of the motoring public, protect the public infrastructure, and work with industry to produce safe, efficient, and economical solutions to commercial vehicle transport.

14 fish passage projects were completed in 2020

improving access to 54.2 miles of upstream habitat.

11,959 incidents responded to

by WSDOT’s incident Response teams during second quarter of 2021, 15% more than same quarter in 2020.

41 Pre-existing Funds Projects Advertised

during the eighth quarter of the 2019-2021 biennium.