Community participation is at the core of decision making at Washington State Ferries. Riders and members of the public may attend virtual community meetings, reach out to their Ferry Advisory Committees with feedback or direct questions and comments to our communications staff at WSFComms@wsdot.wa.gov.
Each year, we host two rounds of public meetings to engage and inform those we serve.
We held two virtual community meetings in January 2024. Both meetings covered the same material, beginning with a presentation focused on our Service Contingency Plan, recruitment and workforce development, our budget, system electrification and terminal improvements. The remaining time was devoted to answering questions from participants.
San Juan Islands schedule improvement
The San Juan Islands sailing schedule needs to be updated to improve on-time performance and reliability and to align with the reservations program that started in 2015. Current seasonal sailing schedules have not been updated in 10-15 years. WSF launched a schedule update process that includes broad community engagement and established a task force to provide advice and recommendations on sailing schedule changes. For more information check out our project page.
Fauntleroy terminal project
Community participation and engagement are important in guiding our early planning efforts for our SR 160 - Fauntleroy Terminal - Trestle & Transfer Span Replacement project.
Ferry Advisory Committees
Under state law, Ferry Advisory Committees are appointed by local elected officials to:
- Provide us input on problems experienced by riders and by ferry communities (RCW 47.60.310)
- Participate in reviews of allocation of vessels to runs, schedules, and the adequacy of terminals (RCW 47.60.310 and RCW 47.60.300)
- Participate in developing fares and fare policies (RCW 47.60.290 and RCW 47.60.300)
- Review plans for changes to route service levels (RCW 47.60.330)
- Participate in developing rider surveys with the Washington State Transportation Commission (RCW 47.60.286)
- Review rider survey responses (RCW 47.60.290)
- Participate in developing plans for capital and operating investments (RCW 47.06.050)
- Meet with us twice each year as an executive committee to review ferry system issues (RCW 47.60.310)
Contact the FAC chair representing your community with suggestions or concerns about ferry service.
- Anacortes: James T. English
- Bainbridge Island: Meg Marshall
- Bremerton: Daniel Walkup
- Clinton: Dean Enell
- Coupeville: Vacant
- Edmonds: Kenton Jones
- Fauntleroy: Frank Immel
- Kingston: Alena Wolotira
- Mukilteo: Vacant
- Port Townsend: Tom Thiersch
- San Juan Islands: Ken Burtness
- Southworth: Malcolm Collie
- Vashon Island: Justin Hirsch
If you would like someone from WSF to come speak to your group or event, email WSFComms@wsdot.wa.gov. Our speakers include WSF Executive Team members, vessel and terminal management staff, design engineers, planning specialists and communications personnel.