To relieve chronic traffic congestion and improve mobility along I-5 in the vicinity of Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WSDOT will rebuild the interchange of Steilacoom-DuPont Road (Exit 119) and extend HOV lanes on I-5 in the DuPont area. This will support congestion relief on I-5 during peak traffic periods while maintaining access to neighboring communities and JBLM. The new interchange includes grade separation of the roadway over the railroad. The final design incorporates a Diverging Diamond Interchange, which reduces vehicle conflict points and improves efficiency with fewer traffic signals.
What to expect
Weeknight ramp and lane closures will occur as needed for work at the northbound I-5 ramps to and from Steilacoom-DuPont Road.
Throughout the project, travelers will see shifted lanes, overnight lane and ramp closures, reduced speed limit in work zones, and potential long-term ramp closures.
Lane closures on northbound I-5 are permitted overnight at the following times:
- Monday through Thursday from 7:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. each following day.
- Friday from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday.
- Saturday from 8 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. Sunday.
- Sunday from 9:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Monday.
Lane closures on southbound I-5 are permitted overnight at the following times:
- Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. each following day.
- Friday from 9:30 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday.
- Saturday from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. Sunday.
- Sunday from 7:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Monday
Road lane closures
- One lane of Pendleton Avenue between Main Street and West Way is permitted to close daily from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and overnight from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- One lane of Steilacoom-DuPont Road between Barksdale Avenue and Pendleton Avenue is permitted to close overnight between 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Wilmington Drive and Barksdale Avenue
- One lane of Wilmington Drive or Barksdale Avenue at the intersection with Steilacoom-DuPont Road is permitted to close daily between 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and overnight from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
WSDOT is rebuilding the interchange of Steilacoom-DuPont Road (Exit 119) and adding HOV lanes to I-5 to help improve mobility and and improve travel times during peak commute hours. The project will replace the existing at-grade crossing of the railroad with a grade-separated crossing. The re-configured interchange will tie-in to Steilacoom-DuPont Road just before Pendleton Avenue.