To relieve chronic traffic congestion and improve mobility along I-5 in the vicinity of Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WSDOT will rebuild the interchange of Steilacoom-DuPont Road (Exit 119) and extend HOV lanes on I-5 in the DuPont area. The new interchange includes grade separation of the roadway over the railroad.
What to expect
Crews will install seven girders near northbound I-5 above Pendleton Avenue. To complete the work, crews will close Pendleton Avenue nightly between West Way and Main Street. The road will close from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. Monday, March 11 through Friday, March 15. A signed detour will be provided. The DuPont Steilacoom Road on-ramp and two right lanes on northbound I-5 will close nightly.
Weeknight ramp and lane closures will also occur as needed for work at the northbound I-5 ramps to and from Steilacoom-DuPont Road.
Throughout the project, travelers will see shifted lanes, overnight lane and ramp closures, reduced speed limit in work zones, and potential long-term ramp closures.
Lane closures on northbound I-5 are permitted overnight at the following times:
- Monday through Thursday from 7:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. each following day.
- Friday from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday.
- Saturday from 8 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. Sunday.
- Sunday from 9:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Monday.
Lane closures on southbound I-5 are permitted overnight at the following times:
- Monday through Thursday from 8 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. each following day.
- Friday from 9:30 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday.
- Saturday from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. Sunday.
- Sunday from 7:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. Monday
Road lane closures
- One lane of Pendleton Avenue between Main Street and West Way is permitted to close daily from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and overnight from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- One lane of Steilacoom-DuPont Road between Barksdale Avenue and Pendleton Avenue is permitted to close overnight between 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Wilmington Drive and Barksdale Avenue
- One lane of Wilmington Drive or Barksdale Avenue at the intersection with Steilacoom-DuPont Road is permitted to close daily between 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and overnight from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
WSDOT is rebuilding the interchange of Steilacoom-DuPont Road (Exit 119) and adding HOV lanes to I-5 to help improve mobility and and improve travel times during peak commute hours. The project will replace the existing at-grade crossing of the railroad with a grade-separated crossing. The re-configured interchange will tie-in to Steilacoom-DuPont Road just before Pendleton Avenue.