Register an aircraft
All aircraft in Washington state must register with WSDOT Aviation and is required by Washington State law.
Aircraft registration fees go directly to support WSDOT Aviation’s airport preservation, maintenance and improvement programs, education outreach, and air search and rescue operations. Registrations are on a calendar year basis (January 1 to December 31).
Renew By Mail: Send your renewal notice and a check made payable to WSDOT Aviation :PO Box 47361, Olympia, WA 98504.
- Please remember to place your registration card in your aircraft.
- Registrations are on a calendar year basis (January 1 to December 31).
- Renewal notices are mailed in December. Responsibility for renewal lies with the owner even if a notice is not received.
- If you sell an airplane, please fill out our online exemption form within 30-days.
- If you purchase an airplane, please give us a call within 30-days.
Registering your airplane for the first time or as a new Washington state resident
- New registrants and new Washington residents must pay any use taxes due on the aircraft to the Washington State Department of Revenue. They will issue you a Declaration of Use Tax when your tax obligation has been satisfied. Washington State Department of Revenue Use Tax information
- Contact our office (within Washington State toll free (800) 552-0666) to find out the current registration fee due. The fee is different for different categories of aircraft such as single engine, multi, jet, helicopter, etc. The fee is also on a calendar year basis and is prorated for the remaining months of the current year.
- If you want to register online, contact 360-709-8015 or email email@example.com to set up your account.
- If you prefer to register by mail, please send COPIES (DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS) of your Declaration of Use Tax, Download the Aircraft Registration Form (PDF 41KB), and bill of sale if available.
Signing into SecureAccess Washington (SAW)
If you already have a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) Account, then log into your account and follow steps 5 - 12
If you are new to SecureAccess Washington (SAW), please follow all 12 steps to set up and add Aircraft registration to your SAW Account
- Click “Sign up” to create an account
- Go to your email and click the activation link
- Click the “Login” button
- Click “Add New Service”
- Click “I would like to browse a list of services”
- Click “Department of Transportation”
- Click “Apply” next to “Aircraft Internet Registration”
- Click “OK”
- Click the “Aircraft Internet Registration” link
- Click “Continue”
- Click “If you remember” and type in your old username/email and password
- If you do not have an old username/email or password, then click “If you are new to our online system, or forgot your login information for the previous system” and we will validate your request shortly after so you can continue to the website.
Washington state aircraft rules and regulations:
- RCW 47.68.250 Registration of aircraft
- RCW 47.68.240 Penalties for violations
- RCW 47.68.255 Evasive registration
- RCW 82.48.100 Exempt aircraft
- RCW 82.08.215 Exemptions - Large private airplanes
- Aircraft Dealers RCW 14.20