Transportation operations guidance for planning studies
Discover how incorporating transportation operations tools into your planning studies will benefit the project through its lifecycle.
Including the transportation operations multimodal vision for the agency provides safety, geometric design, intersection operations and other oversight functions for planning studies.
Let the us help you
- Understand the condition of the corridor.
- Conduct field assessments.
- Identify low-cost enhancements to improve operations.
- Develop a project vision that supports the project through its life cycle.
- Provide support in conducing traffic/transportation performance evaluation and modeling.
- Identify safety concerns.
- Find countermeasures to improve intersection operations for all users.
- Look for truck parking opportunities that improve the operation of the system.
Before you start
- Review transportation systems management and operations (TSMO) resources at TSMOwa.org. Look at TSMO solutions early in the process to determine your project management and operation needs using the resources available at TSMOwa.org.
- Complete an Intersection Control Evaluation.
- Reference the Design Manual Divisions 1, 10, 11, 13-17.
- Reference the Traffic Manual for a range of strategies and approaches to operating and maintaining the transportation system.
We can help planners develop recommendations that optimize the management and operation of our multimodal facilities throughout the project lifecycle.
Consult with our regional traffic engineers
Get help developing a system-wide vision for the corridor from transportation engineers
- Eastern Region: Glen Wagemann - Glenn.Wagemann@wsdot.wa.gov
- North Central Region: David Kieninger - David.Kieninger@wsdot.wa.gov; Mosstafa Sadia - Mosstafa.Sadia@wsdot.wa.gov
- Northwest Region/King County: Mike Swires – Mike.Swires@wsdot.wa.gov
- Northwest Region/Snohomish County/Mt. Baker Area: Alex Zhang – Alex.Zhang@wsdot.wa.gov
- Olympic Region: Sarah Ott - Sarah.Ott@wsdot.wa.gov; Justin Belk – Justin.Belk@wsdot.wa.gov
- South Central Region: Todd Daley - Todd.Daley@wsdot.wa.gov
- Southwest Region: LisaRene Schilperoort – Lisarene.Schilperoort@wsdot.wa.gov
Get a better understanding of existing conditions from region field assessment teams
- Eastern Region: Tim Curns - Timothy.Curns@wsdot.wa.gov
- North Central Region: William Asmussen - William.Asmussen@wsdot.wa.gov
- Northwest Region: Jared Cassidy - Jared.Cassidy@wsdot.wa.gov
- Olympic Region: Dawn Lindsey - Dawn.Lindsey@wsdot.wa.gov
- South Central Region: Jason Jones - Jason.Jones@wsdot.wa.gov
- Southwest Region: Courtney Sell - Courtney.Sell@wsdot.wa.gov