Highway System Plan
Learn about our blueprint for preserving, maintaining, improving and operating interstates, U.S. routes and state routes in Washington.
Over half of the vehicle-miles traveled each year in Washington occur on state highways, and planning helps keep the wheels turning on these facilities. People travel the state highways in personal vehicles, vanpools and buses to reach jobs, schools and services. Some also walk and bike along and across state highways to reach these destinations. Truckers use state highways to move goods. The state highway network supports successful businesses and healthy communities. WSDOT is committed to providing safe, reliable and cost-effective transportation options for the traveling public.
Draft 2024 Highway System Plan highlights
WSDOT has developed a new draft HSP that recommends new revenue for state highways over the next 20 years be dedicated first to adequately funding preservation and maintenance, with remaining funds balanced between safety and efficiency strategies and highway expansion projects at a 2:1 ratio. This draft recommendation provides for a resilient state highway system that is:
All bridges and highways remain open and are maintained in working condition.
Fewer crashes on state highways by providing safer travel spaces for all modes.
- Healthier Environment. Removal of fish passage barriers, fewer vehicle miles traveled, and decreased greenhouse gas emissions.
- More equitable outcomes. Agency investments and policy decisions that are equitable and inclusive.
- More walking, bicycling, and rolling. Closure of most active transportation gaps on, next to, or across highways.
- More travel options. Reduction of commute trips by coordinating with cities, employers, and transit to add or support more modes and travel options.
- Smoother transportation operations. More effective handling of crashes, information, and low-cost solutions.
Learn more about the 2024 Highway System Plan
The Draft 2024 Highway System Plan’s public comment period ran from Nov. 1 to Dec. 18, 2023. We received many excellent comments and questions.
A virtual public meeting was held on Thursday, Nov. 30, from 2 to 3 p.m. We provided an overview of the planning process and draft investment recommendations. View the recording.
Work on the final 2024 Highway System Plan is still underway and is expected to be complete in early 2024.
Previous editions of the HSP can be found at the State Library of Washington.
The HSP update (PDF 475KB) describes the update process in progress.
Helping our partners
- Describe the effects of underfunding preservation and maintenance.
- Share WSDOT agency policy and direction.
- Use a common language for communicating priorities and strategies.
- Plan investments that fit within our expected income and show how we can grow within our means.
The analysis in the HSP will help WSDOT set performance expectations and guide recommendations for program investment levels.
WSDOT is incorporating equity throughout the Highway System Plan development process. Learn more from our HSP Equity Approach (PDF 879 KB) summary.