We will rehabilitate more than 3 miles of pavement, replacing broken panels and grinding the surface to eliminate ruts worn by decades of vehicles. In addition, we’ll replace expansion joints on four bridges. This project is combined with another rehabilitation project on I-90 to reduce costs.
What to expect
People who use northbound I-5 through downtown Everett should plan for overnight lane reductions between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Sunday nights through Friday mornings. During these closures, crews will:
- Grind the freeway surface between Lowell Road and the Snohomish River Bridge.
- Replace expansion joints on northbound I-5 north of 41st Street, at Pacific and Hewitt avenues and at US 2.
- Install 70 in-ground traffic count monitors.
- Apply permanent lane markings after all pavement work has been completed.
Work during 2022 and early 2023 on northbound I-5 near downtown Everett included:
- 200 concrete panel replacements.
- Concrete repairs.