From 10 p.m. Friday, June 9 to 5 a.m. Monday, June 12, at least two lanes of northbound I-405 will be closed between Coal Creek Parkway and Northeast Sixth Street in Bellevue. At least one lane will remain open for drivers, though speeds will be slower. Please take alternative routes and plan for delays.
There will be two full weekend highway closures in August and September. Read our summer closures blog for detailed information about each closure.
Travelers on Interstate 405 between Renton and Bellevue experience one of the state’s worst commutes. The I-405 Renton to Bellevue Widening and Express Toll Lanes project includes multimodal transportation and safety improvements to offer more reliable travel choices and keep drivers, transit riders and freight moving.
The Renton to Bellevue project will add new capacity to create a two-lane ETL system between SR 167 in Renton and Northeast Sixth Street in Bellevue. In general, the project will add one new lane in each direction and combine the existing HOV lane with the new lane to create a dual ETL system.
The new ETLs will connect to the existing express toll lane system between Bellevue and Lynnwood, as well as the SR 167 HOT lanes via the I-405/SR 167 Interchange Direct Connector, to create a 40-mile ETL system. This project is designed to improve speeds and trip reliability for all travelers and support the new I-405 Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line between Lynnwood and Tukwila included in the voter-approved Sound Transit 3 package.
What to expect
Lane reductions on northbound I-405 in Bellevue during the weekend of Friday, June 9 to Monday, June 12
Crews will be reducing the lanes on northbound I-405 between Coal Creek Parkway and Northeast Sixth Street from 10 p.m. Friday, June 9 to 5 a.m. Monday, June 12 for paving and drainage installation. Read our summer closures blog about the lane reductions in June, and other closures for the project later this summer.
Before the June lane reductions, crews will be performing preparatory work between the northbound I-405 lanes and the Woodridge neighborhood in Bellevue. This work will include:
- Clearing vegetation to make room for construction equipment and new drainage utilities
- Installing utilities
- Sawcutting highway panels
- Excavating and performing other types of earthwork
Work activities will take place during the day and at night, and all work will occur west of the noise wall near the Woodridge neighborhood. During this time, nearby residents should expect noise and vibration typically associated with construction as well as increased truck traffic and heavy machinery around I-405. For nighttime work, crews will use strategies to minimize noise and light wherever possible, including using muted backup alarms, lining truck beds, and directing light away from homes.
Vegetation clearing and loadout activities are expected to start as soon as Monday, May 15.
Upcoming night work
Week of June 11–17
City of Bellevue
- Replacing roadway panels between I-90 and Southeast Eighth Street (2 nights: June 11-12)
- Temporary striping on the I-405 on-ramp from Coal Creek Parkway (1 night: June 13)
- Clearing and grubbing the median between the I-405 on-ramp from Coal Creek Parkway and I-405 (4 nights: June 12-15)
- Installing directional bore north of Main Street in the southbound left two lanes. (4 nights: June 12-15)
City of Renton
- Temporary illumination work outside southbound I-405 between North Southport Drive (Exit 5) and Sunset Boulevard Northeast (Exit 4) (2 nights: June 13-14)
- Temporary paving and restriping of off-ramp near 112th Street (2 nights: June 14-15)
- Throughout the corridor, crews will replace blue light fixtures with warmer lights (2 nights: June 14-15)
Week of June 18–24
City of Bellevue
- Moving barriers along the I-405 on-ramp from Coal Creek Parkway (1 night: June 19)
- Clearing and grubbing the median between the I-405 on-ramp from Coal Creek Parkway and I-405 (4 nights: June 19-22)
- Installing directional bore north of Main Street in the southbound left two lanes (4 nights: June 19-22)
City of Renton
- Installing temporary piles and shoring for the 112th Street bridge (4 nights: June 19-22)
Project improvements will occur in the Renton to Bellevue area along I-405.