Travelers on Interstate 405 between Renton and Bellevue experience one of the state’s worst commutes. The I-405 Renton to Bellevue Widening and Express Toll Lanes project includes multimodal transportation and safety improvements to offer more reliable travel choices and keep drivers, transit riders and freight moving.
The Renton to Bellevue project will add new capacity to create a two-lane ETL system between SR 167 in Renton and Northeast Sixth Street in Bellevue. In general, the project will add one new lane in each direction and combine the existing HOV lane with the new lane to create a dual ETL system.
The new ETLs will connect to the existing express toll lane system between Bellevue and Lynnwood, as well as the SR 167 HOT lanes via the I-405/SR 167 Interchange Direct Connector, to create a 40-mile ETL system. This project is designed to improve speeds and trip reliability for all travelers and support the new I-405 Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) line between Lynnwood and Tukwila included in the voter-approved Sound Transit 3 package.
What to expect
Upcoming night work
Week of Nov. 26 to Dec. 2
City of Bellevue
- Barrier and guard rail work near Interstate 90 and Coal Creek Parkway (3 nights: Nov. 27–30)
City of Renton
- Clear and grub work and roadway striping near Northeast 30th Street (2 nights: Nov. 27–28)
- Barrier work and roadway restriping along southbound I-405 between State Route 167 and I-5 (2 nights: Dec. 1–2)
- Restriping at the intersection of Northeast 44th Street and Lake Washington Boulevard (3 nights: Nov. 29–30 and Dec. 2)
- Electrical and clear and grub work along northbound I-405 between SR 169 and Sunset Boulevard Northeast (4 nights: Nov. 27–30)
- Roadway saw cutting at the SR 167 off-ramp from I-405 (2 nights: Nov. 29–30)
Week of Dec. 3–9
City of Renton
- Barrier work, clear and grub, and roadway restriping along southbound I-405 between Northeast 30th Street and I-5 (5 nights: Dec. 4–8)
- Roadway saw cutting at the SR 167 off-ramp from I-405 (2 nights: Dec. 4–5)
Project improvements will occur in the Renton to Bellevue area along I-405.