WSDOT and design-build contractor Graham Contracting, Ltd. will construct a new on-ramp to northbound I-405 and a new off-ramp from southbound I-405 at Northeast 132nd Street in Kirkland. This type of interchange is known as a half-diamond. After this project is complete, travelers will have the option to access I-405 at Northeast 132nd Street, rather than traveling to the heavily congested Northeast 124th Street or Northeast 160th Street interchanges. The project design includes roundabouts at the intersections of the new ramps to better manage traffic flow. The design also includes sidewalk and bicycle lane enhancements along both sides of Northeast 132nd Street and along connecting streets in the project vicinity. The project also improves drainage, water quality and fish barrier correction to create over a half mile of new upstream fish habitat.
What to expect
As part of ongoing construction activities, we will shift traffic lanes and sidewalks along Northeast 132nd Street, 116th Avenue Northeast, and Totem Lake Boulevard Northeast. This shift will take place as early as Oct. 3 and will allow crews to safely establish new work zones and move into the next phase of construction.
- Traffic lanes and sidewalks along Northeast 132nd Street will be shifted north; eastbound and westbound travel on Northeast 132nd Street will be maintained.
- No left turns will be permitted from eastbound Northeast 132nd Street onto northbound 116th Avenue Northeast.
- No left turns will be permitted from westbound Northeast 132nd Street onto southbound 116th Way Northeast.
- Travel lanes in the work zone along 116th Avenue Northeast will be shifted west.
- Travel lanes along Totem Lake Boulevard Northeast near the intersection with Northeast 132nd Street will be shifted west.
- Sidewalks will be accessible on the north side of Northeast 132nd Street, on the eastside of 116th Way Northeast, and on the east side of Totem Lake Boulevard Northeast.
Travelers should expect to see traffic signage, orange traffic barrels, and construction crews and equipment in the area of I-405 and Northeast 132nd Street.
Construction activities will generally include installing signage, placement of erosion control (orange fencing, straw), vegetation and tree removal, temporary striping/lane shifts, signal adjustments, third-party utility relocation (Ziply Telecom), sidewalk and roadway demolition, retaining wall construction, and new sidewalk construction.
Construction will occur primarily on weekdays during daytime hours but may include nighttime and weekend work when necessary. Nighttime and weekend full closures could occur during construction with detours and potential delays.
During construction, traffic conditions are expected to remain similar to existing conditions during the most congested times of the day, although some short-term delays may occur. Residents and commuters may experience noise, vibration, dust, debris, crosswalk and sidewalk closures, lane and shoulder closures, restricted turn movements, and detours for pedestrians and bicyclists. Nearby driveways and other access points to neighborhoods and businesses will remain open throughout construction.
We will work to minimize the effects of construction for nearby neighbors and travelers and reduce inconveniences to motorists with up-to-date information about traffic and travel options.
The project includes roundabouts at the intersections of the new ramps and Northeast 132nd Street.