State high school basketball tournament attendees at Tacoma Dome will want to plan for extra travel time
March 2, 2023 UPDATE: The closure scheduled to begin at 8 p.m. on Friday, March 3 is canceled due to material availability. The work will be rescheduled to a later date.
TACOMA – Travelers using the Portland Avenue and East 27th Street intersection in Tacoma will want to plan extra travel time the weekend of March 3-6. Atkinson Construction crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will close lanes in the intersection to replace an aging sewer pipe.
The closures will begin at 8 p.m. Friday, March 3, and finish by 5 a.m. Monday, March 6.
- Southbound lanes will close between East 25th and East 28th streets.
- One northbound lane will remain open throughout the weekend.
- The northbound left turn to southbound Interstate 5 on-ramp will remain open.
East 27th Street
- Both westbound lanes after Portland Avenue will close the entire weekend. The on-ramp to southbound I-5 will remain open.
- Travelers using the southbound I-5 off-ramp to Portland Avenue (exit 135) to access the Tacoma Dome will detour around the closure using northbound Portland Avenue, westbound Puyallup Avenue and southbound East L Street to East Wiley Avenue.
A signed detour will be in place to guide traffic around the closure. Work is weather sensitive and may be rescheduled.