It's time for airports to submit their applications for the first round of 2023-2025 Airport Aid Program grants. The Washington State Department of Transportation Aviation Division anticipates awarding $2 million in funding.
Airports can only apply for projects previously submitted through the Statewide Capital Improvement Program. The SCIP is an unconstrained prioritized list of projects entered by Washington's 132 public-use airports that captures project requirements for airports to address individual airport needs.
Applications are due by 5 p.m. Friday, May 19. Qualifying projects should be targeted for completion by June 30, 2024. Eligible projects may include work beginning after July 1, 2023.
WSDOT will prioritize applications based on the SCIP project scores. Guidance and information regarding scoring is provided online in the WSDOT Airport Aid Grant Procedures Manual – March 2018 (PDF 935KB).
WSDOT will start announcing grant award decisions after July 5, 2023.
The next grant cycle begins May 2024.
Airport Transformation Grant Program
The Airport Transformation Grant Program (PDF 3MB) supports the transformation of Washington's public use airports to become more environmentally sustainable.
To support the transformation of Washington's public use airports to be more environmentally sustainable, WSDOT Aviation will target 10% of the annual program funds available to Airport Transformation.
Sustainable aviation projects may include, but are not limited to:
- Sustainable aviation fuel storage.
- Electrification of ground support equipment.
- Electric aircraft charging infrastructure
- Airport clean power production or electric vehicle charging stations whose infrastructure also supports ground support equipment and electric aircraft charging.
Projects will be evaluated on their ability to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through:
- The modification of airport infrastructure to adopt clean forms of transportation.
- Adoption of on-airport clean power generation.
- Modification of existing infrastructure resulting in less dependence on fossil fuels.
Information on how to apply for an Airport Transformation Grant is included in the Airport Transformation Grant Supplemental Application Form.
For questions, contact Eric Johnson, WSDOT aviation interim director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-708-8970.