Ferry terminal maintenance
Find the status of ferry terminal maintenance projects and learn about upcoming projects.
We contract out roughly $3 million in terminal maintenance construction each year. These contracts address short-term issues identified through facility inspections prior to larger replacement projects. We also conduct a large portion of maintenance work with in-house staff and by working with various WSDOT regions.
Proper terminal maintenance helps prevent ferry service disruptions. The contracted work covers the following (see diagrams for visuals of terminal structures and components):
- Landing aids (wingwalls and dolphins): Fenders, chains, rub faces and piling on elements against which vessels land.
- Transfer span: Aprons, towers, bridge seats and electrical and mechanical systems associated with vehicle transfer span components.
- Overhead loading: Fixed walkways, foundations, electrical and mechanical systems, elevator cabs and transfer associated with overhead loading structures.
- Trestle: Piling, caps, stringers, cross bracing, decking and concrete associated with trestle components and bulkheads.
- Painting: Painting of all steel, including piling, transfer spans, overhead loading and landing aids.
- Facilities: Utilities, building systems, painting (other than steel) and septic systems.
- Pavement: Grading, paving, asphalt sealing and overlays.
- Vendor work: Preventative maintenance items (typically less than $10,000 each), including bird deterrent systems, cleaning, compactor and elevator work, fender purchases, fire systems, heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, inspection permits, landscaping, equipment rentals, towing, signing and striping.
Status - Spring 2022
Recently completed construction
- Bremerton counterweight cable changeout and wingwall rub timbers
- Edmonds Dayton Avenue signal improvements and camera replacement
- Edmonds Trestle Piling 5C repair and Landing Aid Repairs
- Fauntleroy counterweight cable replacement and Landing Aid Repairs
- Kingston Slip 1 landing aid dolphin relocation for Olympic-class ferry and disposal of timber floating dolphin
- Lopez Emergency Dolphin and Wingwall Repairs
- Pt. Defiance Lighting upgrade
- Pt. Defiance Landing Aid Repairs
- Southworth counterweight cable replacement and landing aid
- Tahlequah Trestle Pile 17A Replacement and Landing Aid Repairs
- Vashon landing aid repairs and counterweight cable replacement
Ongoing construction activity
- Anacortes tag shack replacement
- Kingston Slip 1 and 2 Movable Bridge Control system Replacement (no longer manufactured parts)
- Southworth Painting Preservation (on sight April)
- Southworth maintenance walkway around building
- Clinton trestle paving
- Edmonds upper lot paving (on ad)
- Edmonds timber pile repair (awaiting permit approval to schedule)
- Kingston Vehicle Movable Bridge deck overlays (Summer 2022)
- Friday Harbor counterweight cable replacement and landing aid repairs (Fall 2022)
- Point Defiance, Tahlequah and Vashon paving, trestle and wingwall pile repairs (late fall 2022)
- Tahlequah timber lighting pole replacement
- Vashon Holding Lane signage improvement
We solicit bids for an on-call contract for offshore repairs that require a floating derrick barge every two years. Once awarded to a contractor, the work is completed on an as-needed basis. We also solicit bids for an on-call contract for painting work. Other contract work is designed and bid out to private contractors.