Active transportation guidance for planning studies
Explore active transportation-related considerations to develop a quality planning study.
Multimodal, active transportation and Complete Streets considerations should be a part of the conversation throughout plan development (continuing through programming and design). An integrated multimodal approach leads to the best long-term outcome for all transportation system users, including pedestrians, bicyclists and all other forms of legal travel beyond automobiles.
Before you start
- Read Active Transportation Plan for existing guidance and goals.
- Read Chapter 1500 series of Design Manual.
- Refer to: FHWA Guidebook for Measuring Multimodal Connectivity.
Consider how the planning process can help WSDOT prioritize infrastructure investments to fill gaps and address barriers in the transportation network and increase safety for all users.
For a multimodal active transportation and Complete Streets approach to planning studies:
- Plan for multimodal network connectivity.
- Plan for Level of Traffic Stress.
- Route directness.