Highway Construction and Maritime Trades Scholarships
WSDOT's On-the-Job Training Support Services Program (OJT/SS) and Pre-Apprenticeship Support Services Program (PASS) provide pre-apprenticeship, training, preparatory, and apprenticeship scholarship opportunities to support the participation of women, minorities, and other disadvantaged individuals in the federal-aid and state funded highway construction and maritime workforce.
April 18, 2022 - Scholarship applications are closed.
Due to the overwhelming interest in the scholarship program, we are temporarily suspending the acceptance of scholarship applications until further funds become available. Please check back often to this webpage for the most current information.
Application window will close on June 1, 2022, or when funds are expended.
It is in your best interest to apply early, with a submission of a complete application.
Awards are made as funds are available, on a first come, first serve basis.
Please check this site often for updates: we only accept applications if there are scholarship funds available.
Single scholarship award amounts will not exceed $7,000, and the total award amount for a single individual will not exceed $10,000 in up to three (3) separate awards.
If you have received a scholarship previously, and are still in a training program or apprenticeship, you may apply again by submitting a new application.
Scholarship opportunities are available and include the following highway construction and/or maritime trades training/preparatory programs:
- Carpenters/Pile Drivers
- Electricians (Inside Wireman)
- Cement Masons
- Truck Drivers (CDL-Class A)
- Diesel Mechanics
- Iron Workers
- Heavy Equipment Operators or Mechanics
- Able Body Seaman (AB) preparation programs (above deck)
- Marine Engineering Technology training programs (below deck)
- Ordinary Seaman (OS)
- Other trades or training programs related to highway construction and/or maritime programs on approval
Awards may be applied to tuition, preparatory program costs, books, and supplies. Other needs identified by the applicant may be approved and are subject to approval based on authorized funding criteria set forth within each program from which the scholarship award will be made (OJT/SS or PASS).
Awards may not be used for:
- Costs related to union membership or monthly dues
- Fees for required tests prior to enrollment and/or acceptance into a training program
Thank you for your interest in the Washington State Department of Transportation Highway Construction and Maritime Trades Scholarship Program.
How to apply
Complete the application materials* and submit to OJTSSinfo@wsdot.wa.gov. Make sure you include a letter of acceptance or enrollment into the program of your choice.
*To be considered for an award, your application materials must include:
- Proof of enrollment in or acceptance to your training program along with contact information and detailed information about the course or program
- Appropriate identification of your Washington state residency
- Personal Essay
- Award amount requested, and for what those funds would be used
- Three personal and/or professional references
Applications will not be considered complete until all required information has been received
Once a complete application packet has been received, an award determination will be emailed to you and your training provider within 28 business days.