Travel to Canada

Photo of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia buildings in Victoria, CanadaPlease be advised that our international route to and from Sidney, British Columbia is out of service until further notice due to COVID-19. The information on this page is applicable only when the route is operating.  

We have one route from Anacortes to Sidney, British Columbia on Vancouver Island with a stop at Friday Harbor. This page has information for traveling this route.

There is no service between Anacortes and Sidney during WSF's winter schedule (approximately January through March each year).

Vehicle reservations

If you are traveling by vehicle between Anacortes and Sidney or between Friday Harbor and Sidney, vehicle reservations are recommended. Walk-on passengers do not need a reservation.

Travel from Lopez, Shaw or Orcas islands to Sidney

If you are traveling to Sidney from Lopez, Shaw, or Orcas islands, you will need to take an interisland ferry to catch the daily departure from Friday Harbor to Sidney. The interisland fare to Friday Harbor will be waived if you have a same-day reservation from Friday Harbor to Sidney.

Identification required to travel

U.S. and Canadian citizens 16 years of age or older traveling to or from Sidney must have one of the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Passport card
  • Enhanced driver’s license (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler document such as a Nexus Card

Learn more about the EDL on the Washington State Department of Licensing website and learn more about the Nexus Card on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website

Identification requirements for children 15 years old or younger

U.S. and Canadian citizens who are 15 years old or younger may travel with their birth certificate. Teens between the ages of 16 to 18 may also travel with a birth certificate if they are a part of an adult-supervised school, religious, cultural or athletic group.

If the child is traveling without their legal guardian, they must have written authorization from the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) along with a telephone number where they can be reached to verify the authorization or proof of custody. Without this information, the child may not be allowed to enter Canada.

If you’ve had a felony

Foreign nationals with a single minor crime conviction (driving under the influence, shoplifting, etc.) may apply to be given a one-time Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) and will be allowed to go to Canada. The TRP will not be offered a second time. If you have two or more convictions of minor crimes, you will not be allowed into Canada.

If you wish to enter Canada again, you will have to go to a consulate where you may pay a fee to be “rehabilitated” and go to Canada. Washington has a Canadian consulate in Seattle.

The rehabilitation fee is $200 for a minor crime such as a DUI or shoplifting. It is $1,000 if a more serious conviction of a crime. A person with a minor criminal conviction must wait five years to apply for the rehabilitation fee.

If you have other questions, please contact the Canadian Border Service for assistance at 204-983-3500.

Travel documents for permanent residents

A permanent resident or a holder of the immigration “green card” needs to present a valid card at the border.

Travel with pets

Information on importing domestic dogs and cats is accessible from the "Animals" section of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website.

Customs and tourism information

All passengers and their vehicles and belongings crossing international boundaries and will be subject to United States and/or Canadian Customs Service and Immigration inspection. Articles you bring into either country are subject to being taxed. Canadian law prohibits individuals from bringing guns, mace, pepper spray and other personal defense products into Canada.

Learn more about customs regulations and tourism with the following resources: