The East Trent Bridge spanning over the Spokane River near Gonzaga University campus is due for replacement. Crews will demolish and rebuild the structure which has stood since 1910.
What to expect
Initial construction on the bridge began in March 2020. The full closure of SR 290/Trent Avenue began on June 1, 2020, and will remain in place until the project is complete. There will be several detours that drivers will need to follow until project completion:
- Trent Avenue/SR290 will be will be closed until project completion from Hamilton Street to Columbus Street for construction. Travelers will be detoured to Desmet Avenue where they can go north or south at the intersection of Desmet Avenue and Hamilton Avenue.
- Heavy truck traffic traveling on eastbound I-90 who use Hamilton Street off-ramp and need to travel east on SR 290/Trent Avenue will be redirected further east down I-90 to the Freya/Thor Street off-ramp. Drivers will travel north on Freya Street to access SR 290/Trent Avenue. Trucks traveling westbound on SR 290/Trent Avenue will be asked to use the Freya Street on-ramp to access the westbound I-90.
- Light vehicle traffic can use Martin Luther King Jr. Way around the bridge closure.
- An alternate route for light vehicle traffic traveling southbound on Hamilton trying to go east on SR 290/Trent Avenue will need to use Mission Street to Napa as a detour.
- Those who bike, walk or roll can use the Iron Bridge located off Iron Court to the east and North Superior Street to the west of the Spokane River.