Report a spill

Spills are unplanned releases of materials on or near the highway. Reporting procedures are determined by the type of spill and relationship to WSDOT.

Emergency or hazardous spills

  1. Call 911 for spills on state highways or WSDOT properties that may impact the safety of the travelling public or the environment. These could include spills related to vehicle collisions, fires, unknown chemicals, or explosive hazards. 
  2. Spills can also be reported to the Department of Ecology (Ecology).

If a spill poses an immediate threat to human health or the environment (e.g., tank truck leaking into a water body), then qualified WSDOT staff will take reasonable actions to contain the spill until the police or Ecology arrive on the scene. Reasonable actions depend upon the expertise of the WSDOT staff at the scene and the materials that are available to them.

Spills in water

If you spill or observe oil or hazardous substances in water, immediately call both

  1. 1-800-258-5990 (Washington Department of Emergency Management)
  2. 1-800-424-8802 (U.S. Coast Guard National Response Center)

Oil includes:

  • Petroleum oils, such as gasoline and diesel
  • Synthetic oils, such as mechanical lubricants
  • Plant-based oils, such as cooking oils


Non-emergency spills

Spills and illicit connections that could reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system

Non-emergency spills and illicit discharges that could reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system should be reported to the closest Department of Ecology office via their website or at one of the numbers below.

Illicit connections are any unauthorized pipe, ditch, or other manmade structure that is physically connected to WSDOT’s property or stormwater drainage system

  • Central Washington: (509) 575 -2490
    Counties: Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan and Yakima
  • Eastern Washington: (509) 329-3400
    Counties: Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman
  • Northwest Washington: (425) 649-7000
    Counties: Island, King, Kitsap, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, and Whatcom
  • Southwest Washington: (360) 407-6300
    Counties: Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Mason, Lewis, Pacific, Pierce, Skamania, Thurston, and Wahkiakum

Spills and illicit connections that do not reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system

Find the WSDOT Region Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) contact information on our reporting spills & eliminating illicit discharges webpage. Contacts are available during normal business hours only. Leave a message if contacting outside of business hours.


WSDOT staff and contractors

Contractors and WSDOT staff must follow the procedures Hazardous materials during construction and reporting & reporting spills & eliminating illicit discharges pages to make sure spills are properly reported. All hazardous materials spills must be reported promptly.