Planning study news
The Frequent Transit Service Study’s initial report was completed in December 2022 and the final report was completed in June 2023. The findings will shape the forthcoming statewide Public Transportation Plan update.
In its 2022 session, the Legislature directed WSDOT to conduct a study about statewide transit service benchmarks. The initial report proposed a definition of frequent fixed-route transit and documented how many people in Washington live within a half-mile walk of frequent fixed-route transit (ESSB 5689 (PDF 975KB) Sec 221(15)(a)). The final report builds on the previously mentioned topics and in addition:
- Identifies gaps in accessible, frequent fixed-route transit.
- Presents funding scenarios that address identified gaps.
- Analyzes gaps for disparities in race, age, and disability.
- Recommends further studies to measure access to all forms of public transportation.
- Summarizes stakeholder engagement, methodologies, and data sources.