Skip to main content

Aviation - Airport Aid Grants

On this page:

Aviation measures related to airport aid grants

Airport aid grants

WSDOT Aviation has been charged with the general supervision over the Airport Aid Grant Program pursuant to RCW 47.68. The program provides crucial financial assistance to public-use airports in the preservation of Washington's system of airports.


Source: WSDOT Aviation Division.

Multi-year trends

Between 2015 and 2019, WSDOT leveraged more than six million dollars in state money to secure more than $200 million from federal sources, supporting many projects at public-use airports in the preservation of Washington's system of airports.

Annual highlights

WSDOT awarded $1.2 million for airport investments through its Airport Aid Grant Program for fiscal year 2019 (July 2018 through June 2019). Public-use airports in the state leveraged $936,000 of these funds to secure $42.9 million in federal grant funding. These grant awards will benefit 24 projects at 20 airports in FY2019. WSDOT’s leveraged dollars make up 74.9% of the $1.2 million in total state funds for the Airport Aid Grant Program. The remaining $312,900 (25.1%) will assist airports not eligible for federal funding.

In FY2019, $47.8 million (local, state and federal funding) was available for airport investment projects. The majority of these funds ($42.3 million or 88.5%) were slated for pavement projects, including nearly $28 million for runway realignment at the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport. Projects that improve safety at airports accounted for 8.5% of the total dollars ($4.1 million), with the remaining 3% ($1.4 million) allocated for planning and environmental projects.

WSDOT awarded $1.2 million for airport investments through its Airport Aid Grant Program for fiscal year (FY) 2018 (July 2017 through June 2018). Public-use airports in the state leveraged $923,300 of these funds to secure $76.9 million in federal grant funding. These grant awards benefitted 29 projects at 25 airports in FY2018. WSDOT’s leveraged dollars make up 74.4% of the $1.2 million in total state funds for the Airport Aid Grant Program. The remaining $317,500 (25.6%) will go to airports not eligible for federal funding.

In FY2018, $88.5 million was available for airport investment projects. This figure includes $10.3 million in local and other funding, in addition to state and federal funding. The majority of these funds ($82.8 million or 94%) were slated for pavement projects, including $41 million for runway realignment at the Pullman-Moscow Regional Airport. Projects that improve safety at airports accounted for 3% of the total dollars ($2.7 million), with the remaining 3% ($3.0 million) allocated for security and other projects.

WSDOT awarded $1.8 million for airport investments through its Airport Aid Grant Program in fiscal year (FY) 2017 (July 2016 through June 2017), and public-use airports in the state leveraged $1.3 million of those funds to secure $51.3 million from federal sources. These grant awards benefitted 30 projects at 32 airports in FY2017. WSDOT’s leveraged dollars are a subset of the $1.8 million in total state funds for the Airport Aid Grant Program. Approximately $500,000 will go to airports not eligible for federal funding.

In FY2017, $59.7 million (local, state and federal funding) was spent on airport investment projects. Less than half of this amount, $25.7 million or 43%, was slated for pavement projects. Projects that improve safety at airports accounted for 50% of the total dollars ($30.0 million), with the remaining 3% ($4.0 million) allocated for planning and environmental projects.

WSDOT leveraged nearly $1.3 million in state money to secure $35.3 million from federal sources, which benefitted 42 projects at 31 airports in fiscal year (FY) 2016 (July 2015 through June 2016). WSDOT’s leveraged dollars were part of $2.1 million in total state funds for the Airport Aid Grant Program. The state and federal funds, combined with $3.3 million in local matching contributions, amounted to $40.7 million in total dollars for FY2016.

In FY2016, 86 percent ($35.0 million) of the $40.7 million in federal, state and local aid investment dollars were slated for projects to preserve and improve airport pavement. Planning and property acquisition projects accounted for 10.3 percent ($4.2 million) of the combined grant dollars, with safety improvements accounting for the remaining 3.7 percent ($1.5 million).

WSDOT leveraged $400,700 in state money to secure $7.8 million from federal sources, supporting 39 projects at 25 airports in fiscal year (FY) 2015. WSDOT’s leveraged dollars were part of $1.8 million in total WSDOT funds for the Airport Aid Grant Program. The state and federal funds, combined with $1.1 million in local matching contributions, amounted to $10.7 million in total dollars for FY2015 (July 2014 through June 2015).

In FY2015, 41 percent ($4.4 million) of the $10.7 million in federal, state and local aid investment dollars were slated for projects to improve airport safety. Pavement projects accounted for 36 percent ($3.9 million) of the combined grant dollars, and planning, security and other improvements accounted for the remaining 23 percent ($2.4 million).

Top of page