Under FHWA Demonstration Project No. 34, "Cathodic Protection for Reinforced Concrete Bridge Decks," a non-slotted cathodic protection system was installed on the deck of the Yakima River Bridge 24/5, near Yakima, Washington, in the summer of 1985. The project involved repairing the deck, then fastening Raychem premanufactured anodes to the deck to impress current to the top mat rebar. Impressing current through the concrete to the top mat steel prevents further corrosion of the steel. A latex modified concrete overlay was placed over the deck anode. The objective of the demonstration project was to familiarize the Washington State DOT with this new technology. This objective was fulfilled.
Some problem areas with the system were identified during the work:
1. A more positive method of finding electrical grounding locations from the anode to rebar nicks, ties, etc., needs to be developed. Some ties were exposed during the scarifying operation. Perhaps an instrument can be used to supplement visual inspection.
2. An effective technique of allowing concrete trucks to drive on the anode without damaging it needs to be developed.
3. An effective method needs to be developed to locate breaks in the anode as well as shorts.
4. In remote areas, sources of electrical power may not be available. It will be necessary for sources of power, such as solar panels or long-lasting batteries to be developed for this system.
5. Since the project, once it has started, moves along very rapidly, there is very little time for on-the-job training of workers. Workmen should have prior experience at this work.
These problems need to be overcome to obtain a better quality product.
August 25, 2007
Tom H. Roper, Edward H. Henley.
Washington (State). Dept. of Transportation. Bridge and Structures Branch.
- # of Pages: 61 p., 1,852 KB (PDF)
- Subject: Anodes, Bridge decks, Cathodic protection, Concrete, Corrosion protection, Demonstration projects, Latex, Overlays (Pavements), Reinforced concrete, Reinforcing bars.
- Keywords: Cathodic protection, bridge decks, SR 24, Yakima River Bridge No. 24/5, Yakima (Wash.)
- Related Publications: Cathodic Protection Check-Out: SR 24, Yakima River Bridge, (WA-RD 87.2.1).
Demonstration Project No. 34, Cathodic Protection for Reinforced Concrete Bridge Decks, Yakima River Bridge No. 24/5, (WA-RD 87.2.2).
This abstract was last modified April 29, 2008