Get Our Mobile App
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Alice Fiman, WSDOT communications, 360-705-7080
OLYMPIA – Pedaling more than 200 miles might sound painful, but those gearing up for the Group Health Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic this weekend look forward to it all year.
More than 10,000 cyclists, plus their support teams and STP officials, will be spinning on state and local roads July 14 and 15. The Washington State Department of Transportation asks drivers to share the road and prepare for traffic delays along the STP route. WSDOT also reminds STP participants and all bicyclists of their responsibility to follow the rules of the road.
Based on past years, traffic delays are expected:
- early morning Saturday, July 14, on SR 7 in Pierce County
- midmorning to afternoon on SR 507 in Thurston and Lewis counties
- early Sunday, July 15, on SR 411 Castle Rock to Kelso
- all day Sunday near the SR 433 Lewis and Clark Bridge
Drivers can expect nearly 20-minute delays 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, July 15, as Washington State Patrol and flaggers stop southbound traffic on State Route 432 to allow STP cyclists, escorted by the Goldwing Motorcycle Club, to cross the Lewis and Clark Bridge. On Saturday cyclist will share the bridge with traffic unescorted.
To aid cyclists and drivers, STP organizers and WSDOT will provide traffic control at the following locations:
Saturday, July 14
- SR 507 between SR 7 and Yelm
- SR 507/ Third Street in Yelm
- SR 507/Mossman Street in Yelm
- SR 507/Tenino Trail crossing
Sunday, July 15
- SR 411/Castle Rock area
- SR 411 between Castle Rock and Longview
- SR 411/Lexington area
- SR 432/433 in Longview at the Lewis and Clark Bridge
< Go Back