Teaching children about bicycling and walking safety skills and the health and environmental benefits of walking and biking is an important part of the Safe Routes to Schools program. We also encourage the broad range of transportation choices, events and activities in order to reduce traffic congestion and related air pollution around schools.
Walking School Bus
One valuable project is creating a walking school bus program, which will get kids walking or biking safely to school under the watchful eye of parent volunteers along the route.
Other Project Examples
- Implementation of educational curricula in the classroom.
- Distribution of educational materials.
- Pedestrian safety field trips.
- Implementation/distribution of interactive pedestrian or bicycle safety video games. Example:
- FHWA “Safer Journey”
- National Safety Council “Step to Safety”
- Events and activities to educate and encourage walking, such as:
- bicycle rodeo
- Walk and Bike to School Day
- school assemblies
- walking school buses or bike trains
- mileage clubs
- Walk or bike programs.
- Walk or bike audits.
Links for More Information