Travel to Canada

Find what you need to know about traveling from Anacortes to Sidney, British Columbia including identification requirements, customs and tourism information and more.

We have one route from Anacortes to Sidney, British Columbia on Vancouver Island with a stop at Friday Harbor.

Please be advised that this route is out of service until at least summer 2023 due to crewing and vessel availability constraints. The information on this page is applicable only when the route is operating.

There is no service between Sidney and Anacortes or Friday Harbor during our winter schedule (approximately early January through late March each year).

Vehicle reservations

If you are traveling by vehicle to or from Sidney, vehicle reservations are recommended. Walk-on passengers do not need a reservation.

Travel from Lopez, Shaw or Orcas islands to Sidney

If you are traveling to Sidney from Lopez, Shaw, or Orcas islands, you will need to take an interisland ferry to catch the daily departure from Friday Harbor to Sidney. The interisland fare to Friday Harbor will be waived if you have a same-day reservation from Friday Harbor to Sidney.

Identification required to travel

U.S. and Canadian citizens 16 years of age or older traveling to or from Sidney must have one of the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Passport card
  • Enhanced driver’s license (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler document such as a Nexus Card

Learn more about the EDL on the Washington State Department of Licensing website and learn more about the Nexus Card on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

Identification requirements for children 15 years old or younger

U.S. and Canadian citizens who are 15 years old or younger may travel with their birth certificate. Teens between the ages of 16 to 18 may also travel with a birth certificate if they are a part of an adult-supervised school, religious, cultural or athletic group.

If the child is traveling without their legal guardian, they must have written authorization from the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) along with a telephone number where they can be reached to verify the authorization or proof of custody. Without this information, the child may not be allowed to enter Canada.

If you’ve had a felony

Foreign nationals with a single minor crime conviction (driving under the influence, shoplifting, etc.) may apply to be given a one-time Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) and will be allowed to go to Canada. The TRP will not be offered a second time. If you have two or more convictions of minor crimes, you will not be allowed into Canada.

If you wish to enter Canada again, you will have to go to a consulate where you may pay a fee to be “rehabilitated” and go to Canada. Washington has a Canadian consulate in Seattle.

The rehabilitation fee is $200 for a minor crime such as a DUI or shoplifting. It is $1,000 if a more serious conviction of a crime. A person with a minor criminal conviction must wait five years to apply for the rehabilitation fee.

If you have other questions, please contact the Canadian Border Service for assistance at 204-983-3500.

Travel documents for permanent residents

A permanent resident or a holder of the immigration “green card” needs to present a valid card at the border.

Travel with pets

Information on importing domestic dogs and cats is accessible from the "Animals" section of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) website.

Customs and tourism information

All passengers and their vehicles and belongings crossing international boundaries and will be subject to United States and/or Canadian Customs Service and Immigration inspection. Articles you bring into either country are subject to being taxed. Canadian law prohibits individuals from bringing guns, mace, pepper spray and other personal defense products into Canada.

Learn more about customs regulations and tourism with the following resources:

Traction tires are a special type of tire

manufactured with at least 1/8 of an inch tread. Traction tires are usually marked with a mountain/snowflake symbol, the letters M+S or “All Season.”

Carry chains, practice before leaving

Requiring chains keeps traffic moving during storms rather than closing a pass or roadway.

Prep your car. Fill up your gas tank,

pack jumper cables, ice scraper, warm clothing, snacks and water.