Purchase a transponder

Find out how to purchase a transponder for a commercial vehicle, which allows the vehicle to be electronically screened and enables the driver to bypass weigh stations.

Transponder benefits

Commercial vehicle drivers or carriers with a gross vehicle weight of 16,000 or more can purchase a transponder to be electronically screened as the commercial vehicle approaches a weigh station. The e-screening allows safe and legal carriers to bypass weight stations after checking the legal weight, safety rating and registration information.


Transponders must be registered to a VIN with the commercial vehicle information used for electronic screening coming from the registration/cab card.

  • The commercial vehicle registration/cab card must be current.
  • An active USDOT number must be provided (Carrier Responsible for Safety).
  • All required taxes and fees must be paid.

Purchasing a transponder

Transponders are out of stock.

  • Checks used to purchase transponders will be returned.
  • We do not have an expected delivery date.
  • To be notified when transponders are available, send a request to TransponderAdmin@wsdot.wa.gov.


We charge a one-time $35 fee per transponder.

  • When you receive the transponder, it belongs to you. You own the transponder.
  • There are no additional fees for using a transponder in Washington.

Battery life

  • Transponders have a 3 to 5-year average battery life (depending on use).
  • Transponders do not have replaceable batteries.
  • Once the transponder stops working, you will need to purchase a new transponder.
  • Do not return non-working transponders purchased from us to WSDOT.
  • Follow your regional guidelines for lithium ion batteries when disposing a transponder.

We are hiring!

We have a range of positions open across the state - view all current job openings.

Improved access to 98.2 miles of upstream fish habitat

through 15 fish passage projects in 2021.

28% increase in the value of exports and imports 

from $90.2 billion in 2020 to $115.5 billion in 2021.