Purchase a transponder
Find out how to purchase a transponder for a commercial vehicle, which allows the vehicle to be electronically screened and enables the driver to bypass weigh stations.
Commercial vehicle drivers or carriers with a gross vehicle weight of 16,000 or more can purchase a transponder to be electronically screened as the commercial vehicle approaches a weigh station. The e-screening allows safe and legal carriers to bypass weigh stations after checking the legal weigh, safety rating and registration information.
Transponders must be registered to a VIN with the commercial vehicle information used for electronic screening coming from the registration/cab card.
- The commercial vehicle registration/cab card must be current.
- An active USDOT number must be provided (Carrier Responsible for Safety).
- All required taxes and fees must be paid.
Purchasing a transponder
To obtain an application:
- Download an application (PDF 128KB).
- Email TransponderAdmin@wsdot.wa.gov to request a faxed, mailed, or emailed application.
- Call Transponder Administration at 888-877-8567 to ask for a faxed, mailed or emailed application.
Mail in an application with a check:
- Complete the application.
- You can use one application to purchase multiple transponders mailed to the same address.
- Send a check or money order to WSDOT for the total cost of the transponder(s) purchased.
- (Optional) Register the transponder(s) by including a copy of the registration/cab card for each commercial vehicle.
- We are unable to accept credit cards or any form of electronic payment.
Once your application is received, we mail out transponders within a couple of business days. Typically, you should receive the transponder(s) in the mail within 5-7 business days of the check clearing. Registered transponders will have a license plate sticker on the side. Applications without registration/cab cards will have transponders mailed unassigned.
We charge a one-time $35 fee per transponder.
- When you receive the transponder, it belongs to you. You own the transponder.
- There are no additional fees for using a transponder in Washington.
- Transponders have a 3 to 5-year average battery life (depending on use).
- Transponders do not have replaceable batteries.
- Once the transponder stops working, you will need to purchase a new transponder.
- Do not return non-working transponders purchased from us to WSDOT.
- Follow your regional guidelines for lithium ion batteries when disposing a transponder.
Enjoy paid time off.
Our employees earn paid vacation and sick leave every month, as well as 12 paid holidays per year.
Work in a modern environment.
We offer telework options, an infant at work program, flexible work schedules and more.
Continue your learning journey.
Get tuition reimbursement for coursework or trainings related to your job or career ladder.