Purchase a transponder
Find out how to purchase a transponder for a commercial vehicle, which allows the vehicle to be electronically screened and enables the driver to bypass weigh stations.
Commercial vehicle drivers or carriers with a gross vehicle weight of 16,000 or more can purchase a transponder to be electronically screened as the commercial vehicle approaches a weigh station. The e-screening allows safe and legal carriers to bypass weight stations after checking the legal weight, safety rating and registration information.
Transponders must be registered to a VIN with the commercial vehicle information used for electronic screening coming from the registration/cab card.
- The commercial vehicle registration/cab card must be current.
- An active USDOT number must be provided (Carrier Responsible for Safety).
- All required taxes and fees must be paid.
Purchasing a transponder
Transponders are out of stock.
- Checks used to purchase transponders will be returned.
- We do not have an expected delivery date.
- To be notified when transponders are available, send a request to TransponderAdmin@wsdot.wa.gov.
We charge a one-time $35 fee per transponder.
- When you receive the transponder, it belongs to you. You own the transponder.
- There are no additional fees for using a transponder in Washington.
- Transponders have a 3 to 5-year average battery life (depending on use).
- Transponders do not have replaceable batteries.
- Once the transponder stops working, you will need to purchase a new transponder.
- Do not return non-working transponders purchased from us to WSDOT.
- Follow your regional guidelines for lithium ion batteries when disposing a transponder.