Other aquatic resource permits & approvals

When work is in or around surface and groundwater, you may need to apply for permits from that do not use the Joint Aquatic Resource Permit Application (JARPA). Use the information below on when and how to apply for these permits.

Coastal Zone Management (CZM) Act – Consistency Determination

Apply for CZM review when working in one of the 15 coastal counties and the work requires a permit or license from a federal agency.  Use the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration’s State Federal Consistency list website for the approved list of activities, including the types of federal permits, in Washington requiring review. If the work only needs a Section 404 Nationwide Permit, check the Nationwide permit the work would be verified under in the  Corps User’s Guide for Nationwide Permits in Washington State (pdf 2.27 mb) to see if you need to apply for CZM review. 

Submit the Federal Consistency Certification form for activities which require federal approval (pdf 68.4 kb) to Ecology, with the JARPA if you have one, following the permit application submittal instructions on the Permitting Liaisons webpage. Attach the form to the submittal email. Use this form to describe how the work meets the enforceable policies of Washington’s Coastal Zone Management Program. Ecology must respond to your application within three months and issue a CZM decision within six months.

Find information on Ecology’s CZM program and enforceable policies on the Washington Coastal Zone Management website.

Bridge Permits under the Section 9 of the Rivers and Harbors Act  

Work on a transportation structure (culvert, buried structure, bridge, approaches, or abutments) over a waterbody requires a navigability determination from the US Coast Guard (USCG). If navigable, a Bridge Permit from the USCG may also be required.

  • For bridge work - Look up the bridge in the Bridge Engineering Information System (BEISt). If you do not see a navigability determination from the USCG in the structure details, contact Glenn Waldron, Glenn.Waldron@wsdot.wa.gov, Bridge office.
  • For culvert work - Look up the culvert in the Fish Passage Site Management System. If you do not see a navigability determination from the USCG in the attachments for your site, contact Tara Stone, tara.stone@wsdot.wa.gov, Environmental Services Office.

Keep a copy of the navigability determination letter from the USCG with your other work records. Note the date of the letter in your environmental document.

Contact Glenn Waldron, Glenn.Waldron@wsdot.wa.gov, if the letter indicates that the waterbody is navigable and a permit or additional coordination is needed.

Find additional bridge permit information, including a detailed definition of “bridge” on the USCG Bridge Permit Website.

Water Rights Permit

If your work uses surface water or groundwater, you may need a water rights permit from the Washington Department of Ecology (relevant statutes: RCW 90.03WAC 173-152WAC 508-12). Get temporary water rights for dust control during construction. Schedule a pre-application consultation with your region’s Ecology office before applying for a water right.

Information about water rights is available on the Water right permits webpage.