Applying for permits with a Joint Aquatic Resource Permit Application

Work in or around wetlands, streams, and the coast may require permits from many different federal, state, and local agencies. The Joint Aquatic Resource Permit Application (JARPA), managed by the Office of Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA), is a single application for some of these permits.

Use the form, attachments, and instructions on ORIA's Joint Aquatic Resources Permit Application (JARPA) Form website to prepare a JARPA.

Use the JARPA to apply for the following permits, which are described in more detail, including when to get them, further down the page:

Before filling out the JARPA, see the procedures for how to identify the permits you may need on our permits and approvals webpage.

Submitting a JARPA

Follow the instructions on our Permitting Liaison webpage to submit a JARPA for CWA Section 404 and 401 permits.

For all other permits, send the application to the appropriate agency JARPA contact as listed on on ORIA's JARPA contacts webpage.

Tribal permits and approvals

Tribes issue permits for in-water work on tribal lands, such as tribal versions of HPAs and Section 401 Water Quality Certifications. Contact the appropriate tribal offices or Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to determine your project’s permit, approval, and notification requirements.

Common permits applied for using a JARPA

 Find out when and how to apply for some of the permits applied for with the JARPA by using the information below. Some cities and counties may also use the JARPA for local agency permits not listed below.

CWA Section 404 & Section 401, Rivers and Harbors Act Section 10, and non-federally regulated wetlands
Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) permits
  • Issued by: Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW)
  • Relevant statutes: RCW 77.55WAC 220-660

Apply for this permit for work that will use, divert, obstruct, or change the natural flow or bed of any state waters. Example project activities include: culvert work, stream realignment, bridge replacement, and any work within or over waters of the state.

A general permit may cover the work. If not, you may need to apply for an individual HPA permit. Go to our HPA webpage for more information on when and how to apply for individual and general HPAs.

Floodplain Development Permit

A permit may be required for work within a mapped 100-year floodplain. Check the floodplain ordinances of the city or county where the work is occurring for more information on when and how to get a Floodplain Development Permit. You can find information on floodplain evaluations and mapping in Chapter 432: Floodplains of our Environmental Manual, in the Floodplains section on the Water & erosion control policies & procedures webpage, and on Ecology’s Floodplain Management website.

Shoreline Management Act Shoreline Permit/Exemption

For work within 200 feet of a shoreline, follow the procedure for determining when to use the Shoreline Exemption Law - PRO500-f (pdf 65 kb) to determine if the work qualifies for an exemption or optional WSDOT shoreline process. If the work does not qualify, contact the shoreline planner at the city or county for direction on how to get a shoreline permit. See RCW 90.58.030 for the definition of a shoreline. 

Go to the Ecology Shoreline Master Program website and the Municipal Research and Services Center - Shoreline Management Act website for information on the shoreline permitting program. Find instructions for applying for a Coastal Zone Management Act Consistency Determination on the Other aquatic resource permits & approvals webpage.

Aquatic Lands Use Authorization

You may need a temporary lease for work on state-owned aquatic lands. Coordinate with DNR through your region's Real Estate Services Office for this lease. Be sure to fill out JARPA attachment E if this approval is required.