Reporting spills & eliminating illicit discharges
Identifying and reporting spills, illicit discharges and unauthorized connections that might affect the stormwater drainage system helps keep pollutants out of receiving waterbodies. We do not allow the discharge of anything other than stormwater into our stormwater drainage system, nor do we allow any pipe, ditch or other manmade structure to connect to our stormwater drainage system without authorization.
Report spills and illicit discharges that are not comprised entirely of stormwater on or along state highways or WSDOT properties, as well as connections to our stormwater drainage system, to the appropriate authorities listed below.
Emergency or hazardous spills
Call 911 for spills on state highways or WSDOT properties that may impact the safety of the travelling public or the environment. These could include spills related to vehicle collisions, fires, unknown chemicals or explosive hazards.
Non-emergency spills and illicit discharges that could reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system
Call the closest Department of Ecology office.
Department of Ecology Region offices
Central Washington: 509-575-2490
- Counties: Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan and Yakima
Eastern Washington: 509-329-3400
- Counties: Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla and Whitman
Northwest Washington: 425-649-7000
- Counties: Island, King, Kitsap, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish and Whatcom
Southwest Washington: 360-407-6300
- Counties: Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Mason, Lewis, Pacific, Pierce, Skamania, Thurston and Wahkiakum
Illicit connections or non-emergency spills and illicit discharges that do not reach WSDOT’s stormwater drainage system
Call the WSDOT Region Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) contact. Contacts are available during normal business hours only. Leave a message if contacting outside of business hours.
Use the map below to find the WSDOT region/IDDE contact phone number:
WSDOT regions/IDDE contact phone numbers:
- Eastern Region: 509-323-8402
- Olympic Region: 360-570-6748
- North Central Region: 509-667-2989
- Northwest Region: 206-440-4900
- South Central Region: 509-577-1759
- Southwest Region: 360-905-2015
How to identify illicit discharges, connections and spills
Use the definitions, warning signs and examples below to help determine if you have identified an issue that needs to be reported. Keep this information in mind and be on the lookout for issues to report.
Use these explanations to determine if you have identified an issue to report and how to categorize it.
- Illicit discharge – any discharge to WSDOT property or stormwater drainage system that is not comprised entirely of stormwater.
- Illicit connection – any unauthorized pipe, ditch or other manmade structure that is physically connected to WSDOT’s property or stormwater drainage system.
- Spill – unintentional release of a non-stormwater substance to WSDOT's stormwater drainage system or property related to a single event. Spills often occur in emergency situations, such as a collision causing oil or other automotive fluids to spill onto the highway surface.
Indications and warning signs
The following conditions have the potential to be bigger issues and should be reported following the procedures on this page:
- Oily substances.
- Abnormal flow during dry weather.
- Turbid (murky) water.