WSDOT will remove the current fish barrier located on State Route 542/Mt. Baker Highway located between Britton Road and Noon Road in Bellingham and replace it with a single-span bridge for an estimated habitat gain of approximately 3 miles.
What to expect
Given the nature of the work required to construct a bridge, the contractor working on behalf of WSDOT will fully close SR 542/Mt. Baker Highway between Britton Road (milepost 3.3) to Noon Road (milepost 3.5) beginning Monday, June 5, 2023, for up to 105 days.
- Travelers heading eastbound on SR 542 will be detoured around the work zone on county roads north on Hannegan Road to East Smith Road to SR 542.
- Travelers heading westbound will take SR 542 to East Smith Road south on Hannegan Road back to SR 542/Sunset Drive.
- Local roads within the detour area will be open.
To help deter travelers from bypassing the detour, there are additional closures at the following intersections:
- Kelly Road and Hannegan Road
- Van Wyck Road and Hannegan Road
- Van Wyck Road and Noon Road
There may also be single-lane closures throughout the duration of this project.
The existing 6-foot by 6-foot box culvert at Squalicum Creek on SR 542.