Three Basic Steps to Register Your Aircraft

Use these three steps to register your aircraft with the Federal government and the State of Washington.

Register your aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) by completing the Aircraft Registration Information form 8050-1 and the Bill of Sale form 8050-2 (pdf 201 kb). Return these with the $5 registration fee to the FAA:

FAA Aircraft Registration
PO Box 25504
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-050

*Please keep in mind that FAA Aircraft Registration form 8050-1 is not available to download. Call FAA for the form 866-762-9434

Pay Declaration of Use Tax to the Washington State Department of Revenue. The Declaration of Use Tax form is obtained from the Department of Revenue after the sales/use tax has been satisfied. We will also accept a bill of sale from a Washington Licensed Aircraft Dealer if it is signed and shows that the sales tax has been collected. Find the nearest Department of Revenue location to you.

Register your aircraft with the WSDOT Aviation by completing the Washington State Aircraft Registration Form (pdf 56 kb). Please see the Fee Schedule for the correct amount. Mail your Aircraft Registration form, Declaration of Use Tax form, and check to:

PO Box 47361
Olympia, WA 98504

If you have any questions, please call us at 1.800.552.0666 or 360.709.8015

Where does the money go?

Aircraft registration is used to support the maintenance and preservation of Washington's public use airports. Most of the airport maintenance funds are devoted to restoring badly aging runway pavements (RCW 47.68, RCW82.48).  To learn more about how your registration dollars are used to preserve Washington State airports, please visit WSDOT Aviation's Grant Program page.