Aircraft Exemptions

Aircraft registration does not apply to:

  1. An aircraft owned by and used exclusively in the service of any government or any political subdivision thereof, including the government of the United States, any state, territory, or possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, which is not engaged in carrying persons or property for commercial purposes.
  2. An aircraft registered under the laws of a foreign country.
  3. An aircraft which is owned by a nonresident and registered in another state: Provided, that if said aircraft shall remain in and/or be based in this state for a period of ninety days or longer it shall not be exempt under this section.
  4. An aircraft engaged principally in commercial flying constituting an act of interstate or foreign commerce.
  5. An aircraft owned by the commercial manufacturer thereof while being operated for test or experimental purposes, or for the purpose of training crews for purchasers of the aircraft.
  6. An aircraft being held for sale, exchange, delivery, test, or demonstration purposes solely as stock in trade of an aircraft dealer licensed under Title 14 RCW.
  7. An aircraft not in an airworthy and flyable condition.
  8. An aircraft that has been sold.

What if my aircraft is out of annual? Does it have to be registered?

No, if your aircraft is out of annual and will not be flown during the current year, you can request an exemption. The exemption needs to be requested each year the aircraft is not flown.

Aircraft Sold or Destroyed

Use these three steps to remove your name from the federal government and the State of Washington.

  1. Remove your Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Aircraft Certificate of Aircraft Registration 8050-3 Certificate from the aircraft.
  2. On the backside of your Certificate of Aircraft Registration, AC Form 8050-3 check the appropriate box to cancel your registration.
  3. Return your Certificate of Aircraft Registration, AC Form 8050-3 back to the FAA:
    FAA Aircraft Registration
    PO Box 25504
    Oklahoma City, OK 73125-050
  4. WSDOT Aviation must be notified within 30 days of any changes to your registration information. Please complete and submit this aircraft registration exemption form and email a copy of the bill of sale to or mail to:
    WSDOT Aviation
    PO Box 47361
    Olympia, WA 98504
  5. Apply for Aircraft Exemption to the Aviation office.

If your aircraft is destroyed or sold, please notify WSDOT Aviation within 30 days.