The collision data includes:
Under Section 409 of Title 23 of the United States Code, any collision data furnished is prohibited from use in any litigation against state, tribal or local government that involves the location(s) mentioned in the collision data.
Yes. WSDOT maintains records for collisions on all public roadways in the state. This includes Interstate highways, US highways, State highways, county roads and city streets.
There are no restrictions on who can request the data.
You would visit the Washington State Patrol to request copies of reports. You can also get a blank copy of a Citizen's Collision Report and you can request a copy of The Police Traffic Collision Report instruction manual for officers from their website.
Records for collisions occuring on Interstate, US or State highways are available from 1993 to present, while data for county road and city street collisions is available from 2001 to the present.
The Police Traffic Collision Report (PTCR) submitted by officers and the Vehicle Collision Report (VCR) submitted by citizens were both used as the source data for many years. The PTCR was normally the source of approximately 90% of the finalized collision records with the remaining approximate 10% attributed to the VCR. However, effective January 1, 2009, only the PTCR is used for the reporting of collision data; reports submitted by citizens are no longer used.
Please provide as much information as possible describing the location for which you want the collision data. This could be a specific intersection or stretch of roadway, or a larger area, such as all collisions within a city or county. In addition, if there are any special factors you wish to use to limit the search, such as only collisions involving alcohol, these factors need to be included in your request. Finally, please provide your complete address and phone number so that we may contact you if we need additional clarification to fulfill your request.