Documents, studies and other listed reference materials are designed to assist airport sponsors, state agencies, counties, cities and towns or other interested parties in understanding processes and land use practices utilized to protect and enhance airports as significant local, regional and state facilities. The list represents selected current studies and resources available across the United States. The contents of these documents may not by themselves meet laws or regulations adopted by the State of Washington or reflect the views of WSDOT Aviation or policies of the Federal Aviation Administration.
Additionally, WSDOT Aviation offers a technical assistance program to assist local jurisdictions and airport sponsors to protect and discourage incompatible land uses adjacent to public use airports consistent with state law. Where interpretations of law are involved, local jurisdictions, airport sponsors and other should consult their own legal counsel. The Land Use Compatibility Program addresses three major areas, which include height hazards, safety and noise.
Compatible Land Use Planning Resources
- Airports and Compatible Land Use (pdf 760 kb), prepared by Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) WSDOT Aviation, 1999
- Airport Land Use Compatibility Guidebook, Oregon Department of Aviation
- Airport Compatible Land Use Guidance for Florida Communities (pdf 276 kb), prepared by Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), WSDOT Aviation, 1994
- Airport Land Use Compatibility Plan, Contra Costa County, prepared by Shutt and Moen Associates and adopted by Contra Costa County Airport Land Use Commission, California, 2000
- Airport Land Use Planning Handbook (pdf 292 kb), prepared for California Department of Transportation Division of Aeronautics by Shutt Moen and Associates, 2002
- Airport Noise Compatibility Planning (ANCP) Toolkit, FAA, Office of Environment and Energy (AEE), 2000
- Airport Zoning Ordinance, Taylor County, Wisconsin, adopted by Taylor County, 1998
- Land Use Compatibility and Airports, a Guide for Effective Land Use Planning, FAA Airports Division, Southern Region, 1998
- Land Use Guide (pdf 1.1 mb), prepared by Wisconsin Aviation, 2000
- Placer County Airport Land Use Compatibility Plan - Adopted by the Placer County Airport Land Use Commission on October 25, 2000
- Minnesota Rules Determining Air Navigation Obstructions, Minnesota State Legislation
- Minnesota Rules Airport Zoning Standards, Minnesota State Legislation, adopted 2003
- The Puget Sound Regional Council Regional Airport System Plan, 2001 prepared by PSRC
- The Puget Sound Regional Council Strategic Plan for Aviation, 2000, prepared by PSRC
Department of Defense Military Installation
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Some of these documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader
to open and view.