The California experience
Agricultural worker vanpool programs have been in place in California since 2002, with more than 1,100 daily participants. Agricultural workers often work irregular hours, at multiple worksites and/or for multiple employers. Here are some common circumstances they face today:
- Most do not have reliable transportation.
- Average income is about $12,000 a year.
- Many own a vehicle that is not in safe, reliable operating condition.
- Some cannot acquire a driver’s license or vehicle insurance
- Many speak limited English and have difficulty using transit or other options.
- They often migrate with season and crops.
- Work locations vary day-to-day.
- Many depend on fellow workers for getting to work at $5 - $8 a day.