- This project is funded by the Connecting Washington revenue package.
- Phase 7 Right of Way Acquisition will start in late 2016 and will be complete in late 2018.
- Phase 7 will be constructed starting in 2019.
- Public meetings in Walla Walla will be scheduled for summer 2016.
Why is WSDOT
widening US 12?
Since 1991, the corridor from SR124 to Walla Walla has experienced over 1,000 crashes with over 400 injuries and over 30 fatalities. Many of these accidents are caused by vehicles crossing the center line on the existing two lane highway. This corridor carries between 7,000 and 13,000 vehicles daily with up to 25% being trucks which is impeding the flow of traffic and causing delays to the public.
Widening the corridor from two lanes to four lanes divided by a median will improve the traffic flow and increase the safety for the corridor.
The End Result
Phase 7 of the corridor project relocates a proposed US 12 north of the existing highway from Nine Mile Hill to the vicinity of Frenchtown.
- Increased safety. The proposed four-lane highway will increase safety by decreasing the number of intersections on US 12 while separating opposing traffic with a wide median. New channelized intersections will allow safe access to and from the new roadway.
- Relieved congestion: A four-lane highway will improve traffic flow and provide for passing of longer, slower equipment in a safer manner.
- Freight mobility: Building a four-lane highway will ease conflicts between slow moving trucks and passenger vehicles. Commercial trucks make up as much as 25% of traffic, causing slowdowns and safety concerns.
What is the project timeline?
- Final design of the Phase 7 project has started and will be complete in late 2018.
- Phase 7 will be constructed beginning in 2019.
- Phase 8 will start preliminary design in 2017 and right-of-way will start in 2020.
- Design: $2.0 million
- Right of Way: $16.8 million
- Construction: $116.0 million
This project is funded by the 2015 Connecting Washington revenue package.
How can I get more information?
WSDOT Project Engineer
Design Project Engineer Office
WSDOT South Central Region
2809 Rudkin Rd.
Union Gap, WA 98903
back to top