SR 520 pontoon progress and May movements
- Drivers, boaters and residents around Lake Washington should be on the lookout for SR 520 bridge pontoons moving through the lake this month. Read more...
- Track the latest pontoon movements on the SR 520 Pontoon Tracking Web page.
Second cycle of SR 520 pontoons leave the Aberdeen casting basin on April 28-29
- Crews successfully floated out six new pontoons from the casting basin in Aberdeen, WA.
- Check out photos of the float-out.
- Watch our video on YouTube.
Weekend SR 520 closures
- The next closure is scheduled for May 31 - June 3.
- View photos from the April 19-22 weekend closure.
Crews place final anchors for new floating bridge on Lake Washington
- Crews reached a major milestone on March 15 as they placed the 58th of 58 anchors on the lake.
- Check out our photos of the work on Flickr.
- Read more details in our blog post.
SR 520 email update - May 15, 2013
Pontoons on the move – Pontoon arrives at the Ballard Locks today
Contractor crews will float one pontoon through the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks in Ballard between 3 and 6 p.m. today, May 15. Another pontoon already on the lake will be moved from its current staging location to another location on the lake, making way for a pontoon from Aberdeen to use that staging area when it arrives on the lake later this month.
Visit the SR 520 Pontoon Tracking Web page for the latest information.
Visit our outreach booth at local events this summer; University District Street Fair May 18 and 19
SR 520 program staff will be out in the community this summer sharing the latest information on SR 520 construction activities and next steps for design in Seattle.
We’ll be at a number of events throughout the summer and will be available to answer questions and provide materials to visitors. Our first event is the University District Street Fair on May 18 – 19 located on University Way and Northeast 41st Street. We’ll be at the event 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Sunday.
Here’s our summer outreach lineup this year:
• May 18 and 19: University District Street Fair
• May 31: Bike to Work Month Ballard Street Party
• June 22 and 23: Fremont Fair
• July 25: Bellevue Farmers Market
• Aug. 14: Kirkland Farmers Market
For more information, visit our public outreach page.
Driver alert: Next full highway closure scheduled the weekend of May 31 – June 3
Drivers, get out your planners: the next full weekend closure of SR 520 is scheduled from 11 p.m. Friday, May 31 through 5 a.m., Monday, June 3. During this time, SR 520 will be closed from Montlake Boulevard in Seattle to I-405 in Bellevue.
Bellevue Way will also be closed over SR 520, between 103rd Avenue Northeast and Northup Way from 11 p.m. Saturday, June 1 to 5 a.m. Sunday, June 2.
During the closure, crews will:
• Shift westbound lanes between 92nd Avenue Northeast and Evergreen Point Road to make room for the next phase of highway construction.
• Open the new eastbound off-ramp to Bellevue Way. A half-diamond ramp replaces the temporary loop ramp that has been in place since summer 2011. Closing the loop ramp makes room for construction of new eastbound highway lanes near Bellevue Way and habitat improvements to Yarrow Creek.
Archaeology for the curious: City of Redmond workshop on cultural resources this Saturday, May 18
On Saturday, May 18, the City of Redmond will host a day-long workshop on cultural resources. One of the SR 520 Program’s mitigation projects, which will improve salmon habitat along Bear Creek, will be highlighted. If you are curious about protecting cultural resources and how Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act is implemented, please mark your calendar! The event will be held at Redmond City Hall (15670 Northeast 85th Street, Redmond, WA) from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. You can RSVP to BearCreek@redmond.gov or call 425-556-2723.