SR 520 email update - July 30, 2014
108th Avenue Northeast ramps and intersection near SR 520 to close Aug. 1-4
Crews on the Eastside this weekend will close the intersection of 108th Avenue Northeast and Northup Way in Bellevue, as well as all three SR 520 ramps at 108th Avenue Northeast. The closure will take place from 11 p.m. Friday, Aug. 1 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 4.
Crews will use this closure to pave major portions of the intersection and roadway.
Don’t forget the jets: Blue Angels practice and shows mean brief closures of the I-90 floating bridge this weekend
The annual Seafair festival heats up this weekend around Lake Washington in a spectacular display of aeronautics. For the safety of drivers and pilots alike, the Federal Aviation Administration requires WSDOT to close I-90 while the Blue Angels perform.
Which roads will be closed?
I-90 will be closed to all vehicles, pedestrians and cyclists, eastbound and westbound, mainline and express lanes, between I-5 in Seattle and Island Crest Way on Mercer Island:
- Thursday, July 31: 9:45 a.m. - noon; 1:15 - 2:40 p.m. (practice)
- Friday, Aug. 1: 12:15 - 2:40 p.m. (practice)
- Saturday, Aug. 2: 12:15 - 2:40 p.m. (full show)
- Sunday, Aug. 3: 12:15 - 2:40 p.m. (full show)
I-90 closure notes and exceptions:
- The I-90 bridge highrises will still be accessible to pedestrians and cyclists. However, no one on foot or bike can travel beyond the highrises up to 30 minutes prior to posted closure times.
- Note: I-90 east of Mercer Island will NOT be closed during the performance, although drivers should note that heavy congestion during these closures often restricts access to the exits.
SR 520 weekend accommodations:
- The SR 520 bridge will remain open to vehicle traffic and tolls will be collected according to the rate schedule. Drivers crossing SR 520 should expect heavy traffic, significant delays and plan for additional time to cross the lake.
- Boaters can rest assured that the east and west SR 520 navigation channels will be open from 9 a.m. Thursday, July 31 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 4. For a visual representation of the SR 520 navigation channel configurations this weekend, check out our handy graphic.
Look ahead: Overnight westbound closures of SR 520 scheduled next week
Westbound SR 520 is also scheduled to be closed overnight from 92nd Avenue Northeast to Montlake Boulevard in Seattle on the following dates:
- 11 p.m. Monday, Aug. 4 to 5 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 5
- 11 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 6 to 5 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 7
- 11 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 7 to 5 a.m. Friday, Aug. 8
Closing both westbound lanes of SR 520 gives crews access to complete some of the last remaining work activities for the new West Connection Bridge, under construction just north of the existing SR 520 bridge.
Intermittent, overnight, single-lane highway closures are planned in both directions in the coming weeks. For the latest information, visit the SR 520 Orange Page.
Look further ahead: Full weekend closure of SR 520 scheduled for Aug. 8-11
Weekend drivers, plan ahead for the next full closure of SR 520 the weekend of Aug. 8-11. All lanes of SR 520 will be closed from Montlake Boulevard in Seattle to I-405 in Bellevue, from 11 p.m. Friday, Aug. 8 to 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 11.
During the closure, crews will construct barriers for the new West Connection Bridge and paint new lane striping in both directions of SR 520 on the Eastside.