- Beginning summer of 2014, contractor crews working for WSDOT will build improvements to preserve the bridge over Taylor Creek.
- The project is located north of Maple Valley near the intersection of SR 18 and SR 169.
- This project was awarded to Matia Contractors, Inc., Ferndale, WA, on March 10, 2014.
- This project is not expected to cause traffic delays.
Why is WSDOT
building improvements to protect the bridge at Taylor Creek from bridge scour?
WSDOT is taking action to prevent further bridge scour around the foundation of the bridge that crosses Taylor Creek on Southeast Norvydan Road.
What is bridge scour?
It is usually caused when moving water washes away soil that supports important bridge structures. A bridge can fail when enough material washes away from around its piers or abutments.
What will WSDOT do to fix it?
Crews will prevent scouring by redirecting and shielding the creek away from vital parts of the bridge by using large boulders, rocks and an engineered log jam.
Is this work critical?
Engineers have determined the bridge scour detected is not critical and does not hold an impending threat of the bridge failing. However, this work will help prevent bridge scour from becoming a critical issue in the future.
If a scour issue is left unchecked, there is a very high risk of bridge failure and collapse, which could lead to loss of life and create economic loss due to traffic closures and delays.
The End Result
This project will protect the current bridge and reduce the risk of bridge failure due to scour.
This project will also improve fish habitat.
What is the project timeline?
- March 10, 2014 - WSDOT awarded the project to Matia Contractors, Inc. The contract amount was $139,000.
- Summer 2014 - Construction is scheduled to begin.
- Winter 2014 - Construction is scheduled to be completed.
|Financial Data for PIN 101820C
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
How can I get more information?
Aleta Borschowa, P.E.
Harmony Haveman Weinberg
back to top