I-405 near NE 160th Street is a section of road that will benefit from this project.
Visit the project Flickr site
for photos of construction progress.
- Construction closures and updates
- *DRIVER ALERT* You may have noticed that the I-405 paving season is in full swing. All drivers, especially motorcycle users, should use caution and stay in their lanes when traveling through areas where pavement has been ground. Thanks for your patience as we work to bring you a smoother ride.
- Project construction folio (pdf 817 kb)
Ongoing work at NE 160th Street interchange
Noise walls and tree removal
Express toll lanes
Learn more about the future express toll lanes on I-405.
The NE 6th Street to I-5 (Bellevue to Lynnwood) Widening and Express Toll Lanes project will complement the widening between NE 85th Street and NE 124th Street (Kirkland Nickel Stage 1 project) by building one continuous northbound and southbound lane between NE 6th Street in Bellevue and SR 522 in Bothell. This new lane when combined with the existing carpool lane will operate as a dual express toll lane system from downtown Bellevue to Bothell/Woodinville. Additionally, the existing carpool lane from SR 522 to I-5 will be converted to a single express toll lane or high-occupancy vehicle toll (HOT) lane.
The new express toll lane system will provide 17 miles of additional congestion relief to Bellevue, Kirkland, and Bothell.
To further enhance traffic operations in the Bothell area, a northbound "braided" ramp system will be built between the NE 160th Street and SR 522 interchanges. The NE 160th Street to I-405 northbound traffic and the I-405 to SR 522 traffic will be separated from each other to provide more efficient access to I-405 and SR 522.
To aid congestion on southbound I-405 in the Bothell area, WSDOT will build wider shoulders between SR 522 and NE 160th Street and between SR 527 and NE 195th Street, allowing buses to use the shoulders during peak periods.
Why is WSDOT
building these new lanes?
Afternoon and morning congestion in this area is heavy because of commuters heading to and from Bellevue, as well as from commuters entering and exiting the University of Washington Bothell campus and business parks in Bothell and Kirkland.
The End Result
The completed project adds additional traffic capacity between Kirkland and Bothell and combines it with the existing carpool lane to create a two-lane express toll system in both directions. This comprehensive project complements the Kirkland Nickel Stage 1 project in relieving congestion on I-405 in the north end of the corridor.
- Congestion relief. The addition of the northbound and southbound lanes between NE 6th Street and SR 522 reduces congestion by increasing capacity.
- Safety. The additional capacity reduces sideswipe and congestion-related collisions.
- Environment. WSDOT's I-405 Corridor Program team is designing the NE 6th Street to I-5 Widening and express toll lanes project to avoid and minimize impacts to the environment.
What is the project timeline?
- March 2005: The Kirkland Nickel Stage 2 improvements were cleared environmentally through the Kirkland Nickel Project EA .
- Sept. 14, 2006: The SR 520 to I-5 Improvement Project EA began scoping activities.
- May 10, 2011: Bellevue to Lynnwood Environmental Assessment was published.
- June 2012: Construction began.
- 2015: Expected project completion.
|Financial Data for PIN 840561A, 840561C, 840561D, 840566E, 840567B, 840576A
||Amount ($ in thousands)
|2003 Gas Tax (Nickel Funding)
|2005 Gas Tax (TPA)
|Pre-Existing Funds (PEF)
Project signage will reflect the cost of construction engineering, project bid award and sales tax.
The information shown below reflects the current proposed project budget and schedule. The 2014 Legislature may consider changes to the transportation budget that may include adjustments to some project budgets and schedules.
- The construction contract amount for the NE 6th St. to I-5 Widening and Express Toll Lanes project is $155.5 million.
Total funding for all phases, which includes Project Engineering (PE), Right-of-Way, and Construction, is composed of the following:
- Transportation 2003 Account (Nickel funding) - $109.6 million.
- 2005 Gas Tax (Partnership Funding) - $249.1 million.
In 2005, the Washington State Legislature provided funding towards this project by passing the Transportation Partnership Funding package.
- Federal and Local Funds - $24 million. (PE and Right-of-Way)
- Total Funding Available From All Sources - $383 million.
How can I get more information?
I-405 Project Team Office
600 - 108th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
back to top