Get Our Mobile App
Monday, August 04, 2014
Ian Sterling, WSDOT communications, 206-819-7230
Kris Olsen, WSDOT communications, 206-440-4704
**Updated Friday, Aug. 8**
SEATTLE – State Route 520 Eastside Transit and HOV Project crews will be hard at work over the weekend as they place asphalt on new ramps and stripe the freshly paved lanes east of the SR 520 bridge. Beginning Friday night, Aug. 8, all SR 520 lanes across Lake Washington will be shut down in both directions between Montlake Boulevard and Interstate 405 for a weekend-long closure. The eastbound 520 off-ramp to 124th Avenue Northeast will also be closed.
Weekend work, Aug. 8 to 11
Please note the following:
- CLOSED: The northbound and southbound I-405 exits to westbound SR 520.
- CLOSED: The SR 520 eastbound exit to 124th Avenue Northeast.
- CLOSED: The 124th Avenue Northeast on-ramp to westbound SR 520.
- OPEN: The northbound and southbound I-405 exits to eastbound SR 520.
- OPEN: The westbound SR 520 exits to both north and southbound I-405.
- OPEN: The westbound SR 520 exit to 124th Avenue Northeast.
- SPECIAL EVENTS: Drivers crossing Lake Washington, including those headed to this weekend’s Mariner’s games or to Kirkland Summerfest, should plan to use alternate routes around the lake.
“We’re making steady progress and seeing a ton of improvements in the corridor,” says SR 520 Program Administrator Julie Meredith. “In the past couple of months alone, we’ve opened two new median transit stops, paved all of the Eastside’s six new mainline lanes, and opened new direct access ramps to buses.”
WSDOT’s Meredith thanks drivers for their continued patience. Construction of both the SR 520 Eastside Transit and HOV Project and the West Connection Bridge will be complete later this year. WSDOT also continues to focus on replacing the existing, structurally vulnerable floating bridge. Sixty of the new floating bridge’s 77 pontoons are now built, and more of them will be towed to Lake Washington from Aberdeen this month.
WSDOT posts information about construction closures and nighttime work on the SR 520 Orange Page, the interactive construction and driver planning tool for the SR 520 program. The SR 520 website also provides information on the SR 520 Bridge Replacement and HOV Program.
< Go Back