Get Our Mobile App
Thursday, September 20, 2012
Bart Treece, WSDOT communications, 206-440-4473 (Shoreline)
SEATTLE – It’s not quite the perfect storm, but a combination of weekend construction closures and special events could make driving into Seattle a challenge. The State Route 520 bridge and the Interstate 5 on- and off-ramps at Mercer Street will be closed all weekend as tens of thousands of fans make their way to watch the Sounders push to the playoffs and the Mariners make their last weekend homestand of the season.
Drivers should plan ahead and leave early to arrive at their destinations on time this weekend. To help with the increased volumes on Interstate 90, the Washington State Department of Transportation has adjusted the express-lane schedule to remain open for westbound traffic until 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 22.
Friday, Sept. 21
• All lanes of SR 520 between Montlake Boulevard and Interstate 405 will close from 11 p.m. Friday through 5 a.m. Monday for construction work.
• All lanes of eastbound US 2 between SR 9 and the SR 204 interchange will close around the clock from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday. Drivers will follow a signed detour.
• Crews will close the northbound I-405 off-ramp to Northeast 116th Street around the clock from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday.
• The city of Seattle will close the intersection of Aurora Avenue North and North 85th Street from 10 p.m. Friday, Sept. 21 until 6 a.m. Monday, Sept. 24.
Saturday, Sept. 22
• The city of Seattle will close the I-5 on- and off-ramps at Mercer Street along with the southbound I-5 off-ramp to University Street from 5 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, until 5 a.m. Monday, Sept. 24.
• The Seattle Mariners play the Texas Rangers at Safeco Field at 6:10 p.m. Drivers should plan for heavy traffic on I-5 and I-90 before and after the game.
• Sounders FC play the San Jose Earthquakes at CenturyLink Field at 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 23
• The Seattle Mariners play the Texas Rangers at Safeco Field at 1:10 p.m. Drivers should plan for heavy traffic on I-5 and I-90 before and after the game.
Monday, Sept. 24
• The Seattle Seahawks play the Green Bay Packers at CenturyLink Field at 5:30 p.m.
Before heading out the door, drivers should check the most up-to-date information with WSDOT’s online travel tools such as the Seattle traffic page, the What’s Happening Now page, Twitter feed or WSDOT’s mobile apps.
Hyperlinks within the release:
• I-5 and I-90 express lanes special events
• SR 520 bridge
• US 2 Bickford Ave.
• Seattle Department of Transportation - N/NW 85th Street & Greenwood Ave N
• Seattle Department of Transportation - Mercer Street project
• WSDOT Seattle Traffic page
• WSDOT What’s Happening Now
• WSDOT Mobile Apps
< Go Back