Get Our Mobile App
Friday, February 10, 2012
Mike Murphy , WSDOT Communications, 206-440-4699
FEDERAL WAY– Drivers should plan for a complete closure of southbound Interstate 5 at SR 18 in Federal Way this Friday and Saturday night.
Crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will begin to install large steel girders over I-5 for two new flyover ramps. To keep drivers and crews safe, the work will require nighttime closures as cranes lift the girders into place. This is the first of three weekend closures of I-5 in February.
- Friday, Feb. 10 to the morning of Sunday, Feb. 12 - Crews will close all lanes of southbound I-5 at SR 18 nightly. Lanes begin closing at 9 p.m., with all lanes closed at 11 p.m. The southbound lanes will reopen by 7 a.m. each day.
- Friday, Feb. 10 to the morning of Sunday, Feb. 12 - Crews will close the two left lanes of northbound I-5 near SR 18 nightly. The first lane will close at 8 p.m., the second lane will close at 9 p.m. and both lanes will reopen at 6 a.m. daily.
- Friday, Feb. 10 to the morning of Sunday, Feb. 12 - Crews will close the following ramps nightly from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.:
- The ramp from westbound SR 18 to southbound I-5.
- The ramp from southbound I-5 to eastbound SR 18.
Detour route: During the southbound I-5 closure, traffic will be detoured onto South 348th Street to southbound Highway 99, then to 54th Avenue East in Fife to rejoin I-5. Police officers will direct traffic at key intersections. WSDOT is working with the city of Federal Way to retime traffic signals.
This work is part of a $112 million project to build two new flyover ramps – one between westbound SR 18 and southbound I-5, and the other between eastbound SR18 and northbound I-5. The ramps are expected to open this summer. For more information on the project, go to www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/i5/sr18sr161ic.
< Go Back