Local and state agencies that want to test a new traffic control device that is not in the 2009 MUTCD and has not been tested or that want to use a device from the MUTCD in a way (different size, type, or location) that has not been tested can request an experimental approval from the Federal Highway Administation (FHWA).
General Information about traffic control devices can be found in MUTCD Parts 1 , 5A , 7A , 8A , and 9A .
See WAC 468-95 for modifications for Washington State.
Traffic signs provide regulations, warnings, and guidance to the traveling public, including motor vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians.
The following sections are from the MUTCD. See WAC 468-95 for modifications for Washington State.
- Regulatory signs: MUTCD Parts 2B , 5B , 5F , 7B , 8B , and 9B
- Warning signs: MUTCD Parts 2C , 5C , 5F , 7B , 8B , and 9B . Note: WSDOT has a ball bank indicator that local agencies may borrow to assist in determining speeds for warning signs. Contact the Local Agency Traffic Services Specialist .
- Guide signs (Conventional Roads):
MUTCD Parts 2D , 5D , and 9B
- Guide signs (Freeways and Expressways):
MUTCD Parts 2E , 5D , and 9B
- Specific Service signs: MUTCD Part 2J
- Tourist-Oriented Directional signs:
MUTCD Part 2K
- Recreational and Cultural Interest Area signs: MUTCD Part 2M
- Emergency Management signs: MUTCD Part 2N
- Emergency Notification signs: MUTCD Part 8B
There are temporary and permanent methods to deter cut through traffic through a neighorhood and slow motor vehicles down. These methods make conditions better for other roadway users and for neighborhood residents and buisnesses.
WSDOT has a radar speed gun that local agencies may borrow to conduct speed studies. Contact the Local Agency Traffic Services Specialist .
Temporary traffic control devices guide motor vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians through roadway construction zones.
Additional information can be found in MUTCD Parts 5G and 6 . See WAC 468-95 for modifications for Washington State.
Also learn about work zone safety and mobility .