The Urban Traffic Engineers Council is a group of local agency traffic, transportation, and public works engineers, technicians, public works directors, managers, supervisors, planners, and related professionals. Partners of local agencies are also members of the group. Members share information and discuss ideas about traffic-related issues at free meetings, through a free e-mail distribution list, and through strong resulting connections in the professional community.
UTEC meetings are organized by WSDOT Highways & Local Programs but the group's focus is on local agency traffic-related issues.
Being a member simply means being on our free e-mail distribution list. The list provides:
- Information about upcoming meetings
- Selected information about training opportunities and updates on technical, policy, and funding topics related to traffic engineering
To join this list, please contact the Traffic Services Manager with your name, title, agency name, e-mail address, agency name, and topics of interests.
UTEC is currently going through a strategic planning effort to determine the direction for the group in the near future. We conducted a strategic planning survey and will share the results this fall.
To learn more about UTEC, to join as a member and get on our free e-mail distribution list, or to become involved, please contact the Traffic Services Manager .
UTEC was started in the late 1970s by Washington cities and the group soon grew to include counties. Today UTEC is more than 30 years old. Members include 90 cities, all 39 counties, the County Road Administration Board, metropolitan planning organizations, consulting engineering firms, product vendors, a state university, the Federal Highway Administration, the Washington Traffic Safety Commission, and WSDOT.
UTEC meets two to three times per year on the west side of the state. Meetings are available by live webinar to reach any local agencies and their partners in the state. Meetings are also held on the east side of the state when members there express an interest.
Please check back later for the date, location, and agenda.
The meeting will also be available by live webinar from anywhere in the state with an internet connection.
Most recent meeting
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2013
- Results of the 2013 UTEC member survey.
- Connected vehicles and in-vehicle technology: definition and state of these technologies.
- Selected Efforts to Reduce Petroleum Use in Washington State.
- LED street lighting and control/monitoring systems and Seattle Department of Transportation’s new lighting guidelines. Also a brief summary of the city’s research into wind and solar powered street lighting.
- City of Seattle’s update to their 2007 Bicycle Master Plan and progress on their bicycle program. This includes new facility types such as neighborhood greenways and cycle tracks and some recent/future bicycle projects that have advanced the bicycling environment for Seattle residents.
- Local agency funding: how local agencies get funding and the current state of funding sources.
Other recent meetings
- April 25, 2013 in Federal Way
- December 4, 2012 in Bellevue