Mitigation Guidance, Templates and Links
Federal and State Guidance on Wetland Mitigation
2008 Federal Rule on Compensatory Mitigation for Losses of Aquatic Resources
Freshwater Wetlands in Washington State
- Volume 1: A Synthesis of the Science (Ecology publication #05-06-006)
- Volume 2: Guidance for Protecting and Managing Wetlands (Ecology Publication #05-06-008)
Wetland Mitigation in Washington State, Joint Guidance from Washington State Dept. of Ecology, Seattle District Corps of Engineers and Environmental Protection Agency Region 10
- Part 1: Policies and Guidance (Ecology publication #06-0611a)
- Part 2: Developing Mitigation Plans (Ecology publication #06-06-011b)
Planning for Mitigation
- Approximate Timeline for Wetland Mitigation (pdf 72 kb) This timeline is generic and may vary from region to region. Please verify with the regional biologist.
- Generic Consultant Scope of Work for Wetland Mitigation (pdf 84 kb) This scope of work is generic and may vary from region to region. Please verify with the regional biologist.
- Consider Local Critical Areas Ordinances from the relevant City or County early in planning to be sure mitigation developed meets local requirements, including the widths of buffers.
- WSDOT designs mitigation site buffer widths to follow the Department of Ecology's guidance publication #05-06-006.
- Ecology’s publication #05-06-008 also provides information on widths of buffers needed to protect wetlands.
Mitigation Plan Templates and Example Deliverables
WSDOT-Specific Mitigation Guidance