I-5 Tacoma ramp, lane closures for HOV projects
Southbound Interstate 5 between L Street and M Street will be reduced to a single lane during overnight hours of Wednesday, Feb. 10, and Thursday, Feb. 11. Single, double and triple-lane closures will begin at 8 p.m., 10 p.m. and 12:01 a.m. respectively. Two lanes will reopen by 4 a.m., with all lanes opening by 5 a.m. each following morning.
Drivers can also anticipate additional night single- and double-lane closures on both northbound and southbound I-5 between M Street and the Port of Tacoma Road throughout the week.
Wednesday, Feb. 10
• East 28th Street/Bay Street on-ramp to northbound State Route 167 will close from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following day.
• East 28th Street on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following morning.
• Northbound SR 7, southbound I-705, and Pacific Avenue on-ramps to southbound I-5 will close from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
Thursday, Feb. 11
• East 28th Street/Bay Street on-ramp to northbound SR 167 will close from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following day.
• East 28th Street on-ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 11:59 p.m. to 4 a.m. the following morning.
• South 38th Street on-ramp to northbound SR 7 will close from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning.
Friday, Feb. 12
• East 28th Street/Bay Street on-ramp to northbound SR 167 will close from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. the following day.
Friday, Feb. 12, through Monday, Feb. 15
Northbound I-5 collector/distributor exit to northbound I-705 will close around-the-clock from 11 p.m. Friday, Feb 12, to 5 a.m. Monday, Feb. 15. (This closure was rescheduled from the weekend of Feb. 5 due to forecasts of rainy weather.)
Friday Feb. 12 and Saturday, Feb. 13 night closures:
Northbound I-5 collector/distributor exit to southbound SR 7 will close the following hours:
• 3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 12 to 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 13
• 11 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 13, to 10 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 14.
Alternate route for eastbound SR 16 drivers going to northbound I-5
Tired of backups on eastbound SR 16 heading toward northbound I-5? Try this alternate route, which uses the SR 7 U-turn at South 38th Street. We've clocked it, and when backups at the merge are heavy this will take you about half the time! Just make sure that as you're heading up the hill on SR 7, take the route to South 38th Street east (not west).