I-5/SR 16: Eastbound Nalley Valley
Builds new eastbound SR 16 viaduct over Nalley Valley, completes Sprague Avenue interchange.
- I-5 South 38th Street exit in Tacoma: The southbound I-5 exit to South 38th Street in Tacoma is closed through July, 2013 while crews build a new exit in a new alignment. Find out more information about the project and the detour route.
- Multiple Night Closures for Girder-Setting Activities
During night hours between June 17 and mid-August, crews will close eastbound State Route 16 and some city streets on many weeknights to set bridge girders.
In total, crews will set 83 girders this summer to build three separate bridges within the project: 1) the new permanent eastbound SR 16 viaduct; 2) the South Sprague Avenue on-ramp to southbound I-5; and 3) the South Sprague Avenue on-ramp to northbound I-5.
The current closure schedule is as follows:
- closing eastbound SR 16 at South Union Avenue and South Union Avenue on-ramp to eastbound SR 16. Detouring traffic via South Union Avenue.
- 11 p.m. - 4 a.m. from Monday, June 17 through Thursday, June 20
During those same hours, crews will also close all lanes of South Tacoma Way between South Pine Street and South Wilkeson Street. Motorists will be detoured via South Center Street.
- 11 p.m. Friday, June 21 through 5:30 a.m. Saturday, June 22 - closing eastbound SR 16 at South Union Avenue and the Union Avenue on-ramp to eastbound SR 16. Detouring traffic via South Union Avenue.
- South Tacoma Way will also be closed during those hours and traffic will be detoured via South Center Street.
SR 161, 24th Street East to Milton Way Widening
Improves safety and eases congestion by adding lanes and managing access.
Location: Both directions of SR 161 from 24th Street to Milton Way, mileposts 32 to 34.
Day time work:
- Crews working from 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Expect short term traffic stops for trucks entering and exiting the roadway. Some lanes may be temporarily restriped to accommodate the construction zone.
- Crews working from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday-Saturday. Expect short term traffic stops for trucks entering and exiting the roadway. Some lanes may be temporarily restriped to accommodate the construction zone.
I-5, SR 510 to SR 512 ITS Fiber Improvements
Improves fiber optics, including installation of new conduit and electrical components.
Location: Northbound I-5, from Hawks Prairie to SR 512, milepost 112 to 128. See specifics below.
Day time work:
- Right shoulder closure, northbound I-5, mileposts 114 to 117, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays.
- Single lane closure, northbound I-5, mileposts 112 to 115, nightly, each Monday through Thursday, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. and each Friday, from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next day.
SR 16, Tacoma Narrows Bridge
Location: Eastbound direction, SR 16, Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
- Three eastbound lanes will close at 9 p.m. on Friday, June 14, for pavement repair work. All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. Saturday. One eastbound lane will remain open during the work, and all westbound lanes will remain open.
Travel planning tools: